Help me with my track.

Discussion in 'A+' started by zero, Aug 23, 2005.

1. zero

zero Bit Poster

Hello everybody,

I am new here, i am happy to be here, as i was looking for a helpful forum and thanks god i found it. :)

I am studying my A+ certificate , I want to continue in the IT world .

I have a concern that i need you to help me clear in my mind.

well, i have no experience in the IT world beyond the stuff that i am studying in the A+ certificate. so i didnt deal with servers and large networks. all what i did is home and small networks using a switch or a router and like 5 computers.

I have a track in my mind or a goal which is ultimately to work in the security field and ethical hacking.

To do so, i planned to take the following track:
    1) A+
    2) Network+

Afterwards is the problem as i dont know what to do?? is it the MCSE?? or The CCNA??? Bear in mind folks that i have no reall experience.

Please help me and tell me the smooth track that i should take to achieve my goal. :cry:

Thanks.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi zero. Is there any reason why you have to make this decision right now? Seems like you have plenty to do studying for the A+ and Network+ exams. As you say, you don't have any experience yet, so let this learning experience help you figure it out. Besides, the MCSE and CCNA tracks are not mutually exclusive. You can have both, given time.

The experience issue or lack thereof is the real key. You can earn any number of certifications you want, but without actual experience, they aren't worth a lot. At some point in your educational process, you are going to have to start working in the IT field in some entry-level capacity to get the experience that will build up your credibility.

Also, experience and education might actually modify your initial career goal. Who knows? After a year or so, you might decide you really love the idea of being a DBA. It happens. Each step you take leads to a fork in the road. Right now you are studying for your A+. After you earn it, you could either modify your course or stick to it. It might be the same or different after the Network+.

Concentrate on your immediate goal for starters and see what happens.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. zero

zero Bit Poster

Thanks Trip wire,

you are quite right. However, here in my country to begin in the IT field you have to begin at least with MCSE or CCNA .

The reason why i began with A+ and Network + Is because i need to understand the concept.

I mean i wont be able to start my career with A+ or Network+ unless there is a miracle or so.

so the Normal here is to have the MCSE or CCNA.

So, with no experience and with A+ & Network+ what is the choise (MCSE OR CCNA)???

Thanks alot for you patience.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

In an absolute sense, it's practically impossible to answer that question. Sure, you can get a CCNA faster than an MCSE but that doesn't guarentee that you'll arrive at your goal since the skill sets involved in both certifications have security components. Also, I was unaware of what country you were in when you originally asked that question so I didn't know at the A+/Net+ would not be sufficient for an entry-level position.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. zero

zero Bit Poster

thx alot tripwire, really appreciate it. :)