hellooooooooooooooo all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by G1BB0, Jan 6, 2005.

1. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

lo all just a quick hello

currently looking into retraining and was given a link to this site by a m8 (STU_C)

not sure which route to go but hopefully the threads on the site will help me make my choice :)

laters

Gibbo

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Gibbo. Welcome to certforums. Tell us a bit more about what decision you are trying to make. We'd love to help out. Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to the site Gibbo, good to have you here. Yeah as Trip says spill more of the beans and maybe we can help you out with your decision making.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yeah, g'day from me too, G1bbo - welcome to our place :D

The Guys here will cetainly answer more than a few questions and hopefully we'll help you decide which direction is best for you...enjoy !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Greetz Gibbo, you stumbled into the right place it seems :)
    what sort of direction are you looking to go? do you have any current experience? let us know as much as you can and we will do what we can to help :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

right

am currently a chef who spends 90% of spare time on pc, have a hnd in business and accounting and did 1 year of a software systems development degree at UNI but due to kids etc I had to withdraw.

have worked for an IT firm mainly part identification, basic testing and database work.

build pc's for self, family and friends.

troubleshoot for friends and family either at home or via phone with a pretty decent success rate (which aint easy due to their normally sod all knowledge :) )

am deliberating with going for MCSE or web design altho I do feel hardware/os' is my best strength and what I have most experience/knowledge in.

will continue to work to fund this and my 3 kids lol so has to be not too exhaustive with good potential for employment at the end.

and I have shedloads of books on software systems design, access, dreamweaver etc etc

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi from me to Gibbo :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

And a welcome from me!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the forum mate.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

welcome gibbo, took your time getting here ;)

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  11. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

well I have decided to do a MCSE Networking - MS server 2003

start in a few weeks, its with computeach who I know have had some bad press off a few peeps but as long as I have the material I dont care as you get out what you put in regardless of who its with

so hopefully soon .... :D

12. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

Glad to hear you finally made your mind up. And wish you luck on your chosen path.

Stu

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hope you serve meals quicker than you reply to posts, Gibbo :blink

JOKING !!!! Mate - seriously good luck with your studies, we're all here to help where we can :thumbleft

Any chance of a steak ??? :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Rock on, Gibbo. Just do it! :D

15. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

ok, the exams i will be doing are thus - 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-299, 70-293, 70-294 & 70-298

aint gonna list what they are as my post would be huge

before i commence what do you recommend to make life easier and study less stressfull (if thats possible)

would rather have all the necessary extras (apart from what they supply of course) I need b4 i commence :)

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I imagine that you'll be buying your books through your training provider and that your provider will be giving you access to computers and servers running the appropriate operating systems. It doesn't hurt to be able to have a small home lab but sometimes that's impractical for financial or other reasons.

You can get an evaluation copy of Windows Server 2003 from Microsoft (it's free) at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

It's only good for 180 days and then stops working, but it will give you a chance to play with it outside of the classroom environment.

What will make it easier depends on how you learn. Some people are maniacs and bury their nose in a book or work at a terminal for endless hours. Other people need to take frequent breaks and alternate activities or they go bonkers.

I need it to be relatively quiet to study (which my family has a hard time understanding sometimes) but you could be the sort that could study in a war zone and not have it affect you.

You are the best expert there is on what you need in order to learn and what your style of learning is like. I recommend getting as much hands-on time on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 as possible, tho. Practice, practice, practice. If you read about it in a book, see if you can do it on the computer and then keep doing it until you are familiar with whatever process you are learning. If something goes wrong, try to figure out what it is. Do your research both with your texts and on the web.

Part of CertForum's "mission" is to be part of your support but you'll find that you'll have to seek out multiple sources to get the answer to certain problems. Just about anyone can use a search engine but sometimes you have to play around with the search string before the right answer presents itself (hopefully).

I hope something in all of the above is useful to you. Good luck.

17. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

hmmmm must have read my thoughts

just gave a bloody pc away last week that was sat in the cupboard (athlon 1100, 512 ra etc etc) would have been perfect

suppose I will have to hijack my daughters pc, will be a lot of discontent but hey hopefully it will be worth it :)

as for literature, yeah they provide all material, I guess I will buy a cram guide or 2, we also get transcender

have to say am excited at doing this but at the same time slightly nervous :eek:

aslong as I can get a career at the end of it and throw away my chef's whites i dont care what it takes hehe

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'd never even put my hands inside a PC before I started my program. I was afraid I'd break something and not be able to fix it. After getting started, I was hooked. It's a blast. :)