Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by SamuelClyde, Dec 12, 2005.

1. SamuelClyde

SamuelClyde Nibble Poster

Well, After long research (And Deciding what Couses i want to do in college etc) I have stumbled on this little website.

Currently Im just in my last year of GCSE's (And not enjoying it a whole lot)

And Next year ill be starting a BTEC National Deploma in ICT Systems Support (Prodiving I get on the course)

Im hoping to compliment my BTEC with a few extra courses, and the CompTIA A+ and Network+ Seem like a perfect Compliment.

So I just Fired up Amazon.co.uk and Ordered David Groths Network+ Guide (N10-003) Hoping to get started Right away and give myself a headstart =)

In the distant future I hope to do the CCNA aswell but i expect that to be a while off =)

So... Hello Everyone @ Certforums!

WIP: GCSE's / Network +
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Samuel and welcome to CF :D

Do you have any practical experience? Hands on is very important and a key factor for finding a career in IT.

Also, is there any reason you purchased the N+ book first? I would have thought the A+ was the preferred starting place.

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, SamuelClyde. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. SamuelClyde

Why did I pick the N+ first? Basically, I have a love for Networking =)

Practical experiance, Well not a whole lot (Well I am 16)

I suppose I run Linux Ubuntu as my main OS now, Set up my own home network/Wirless, Set it up for friends and relatives, Build PCs all that sort of stuff.

Nothing like earning a tenner for sitting a round at a family friends house to fix silly problems.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Samuel, you have a very mature way of expressing yourself for a 16 year old. That is very refreshing, keep it up because communication is another important factor when it comes to landing a decent job and succeeding in this industry.

So, are you going to do the A+ after the N+? :blink

Pete

7. SamuelClyde

Well, I suppose I should do the A+ After the N+, They both seem to go hand in hand =)

Thanks for the compliment =)

The only thing that seems to be a problem is the Exam fee, But my mother seems ok enough with paying it, It is my Education after all

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You can't avoid the exam fees unless an employer is willing to foot the bill. You can save your mum a fortune though by self studying rather than paying for tuition from a training provider.

I have said this many times on this site but what the heck, here I go again. Once you are involved in IT as a profession, self study will become and integral part of your make up. It is a totally unrealistic option to keep paying for tuition as time passes. All you actually need is a thirst for IT, time to study, a few good books, a home lab (two or three oldish PCs) and the Internet.

Apart from the advice that this forum has to offer, there are lots of practice tests and stuff on the Internet for free. Just find out the exam topics, delve into a good book and practice what you are learning as you go along.

Avoid braindumps like the plague, they are your worst enemy, if you want to learn the material.

This is how to keep a lid on the costs.

Good luck!

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ohmigawd...even my youngest is a year older than you. :blink

10. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF SamuelClyde! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  12. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

I only wish that i was 16 again :p

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Wotcha!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good Morning and Welcome! :biggrin

15. SamuelClyde

I do intend to self study, The way my BTEC will work out it will mean i either have a morning and a afternoon off at seperate times in the week, or a whole day off. So I can use that time to study for the CompTIA qualifications and possibly the CCNA

Do you think I should set up a lab? i could probably get some really cheap computers from somewhere (School technicians, Or my uncle who works as a admin at Volvo anyway)

I wouldnt really need all the monitors etc, Just stack them on top of each other, get the network running really simple (Some small Linux OS will do) and set them up all though SSH.

Then again, I think self studying from the book would be ok enough, Ive always got this forum to fall onto if I dont understand anything :)

16. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to CF, hope you do well in the IT field.

Are you the youngest member here? If you are, congrats :biggrin

I do have to agree, you do have a mature sense about IT - Cool!!! - Keep it, it'll only be an asset to you.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I can just *feel* a poll about to be created. :tongue

18. SamuelClyde

Well, I suppose I could be one of the youngest round here =)

Thanks for all your compliments, Greatly Appriciated, Makes me feel alittle more reassured about my future than I already am :D

Hopefully my Network+ Book should arrive tomorrow (Along with a Copy of Deus ex, Such a awesome game had to snap it up at the bargin price it was)

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Poll posted. :tongue