Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by spike22, Mar 24, 2018.

1. spike22

spike22 New Member

New here, just saying hello to everyone. Looking for recommedation into what cert to study, thinking MTA but not sure as studied networking in university. Any recommendation would help.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What kind of work are you looking for? What country do you live in?

The reason I ask is that they all matter, there's no real point in getting a Network related cert if you're a developer who is never going to work on network devices, also worth pointing out that the while the CompTIA exams are good, they get little industry recognition here in the UK, now that's not to mean they are worthless, because someone who 'KNOWS' about the certification will value it but most of the time people only really understand the major product vendor certifications (Microsoft, VMware, Cisco, RedHat etc).

Whilst it's an old post of mine now, this https://www.certforums.com/threads/entry-level-it-certifications-and-beyond.49085/ is still pretty relevant as far as how you should approach it. I am going to look at updating that article with newer certifications over the next coming weeks.

Anyway, welcome :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. spike22

spike22 New Member

I live in the UK. I would prob look at support like 1st line. I have been struggling to get into IT so thought an cert would help.

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Get an MTA OS cert and also grab yourself the ITIL foundation cert then just learn the basics of servers/networking. Tbh when I got my first IT gig I didnt even know what Active Directory was and knew nothing about networking, couldnt even tell you what an IP address was.

5. spike22

spike22 New Member

Do you know how much overlap will be in the MTA OS cert, the degree i did in university was networking and computer support.

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Couldnt tell you.. reason I say get the MTA is simply because its a Microsoft cert, and recruiters see the word Microsoft in a CV and think “I’ll contact him, he must be s genius” sad but true.

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's been years since I have recruited for entry level roles but I seem to remember that sad as it seems, the degree stands you in lesser standing than if you were to have a vendor certification. The degree shows you know how to do papers etc, the certification should show an understanding of the technology.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA