Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Jaden, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jaden

Jaden New Member

Hello, my name is Jaden, 22 years old from Birmingham. Tell you a little about my self first. I work in a dead end job as sign maker, i did have career in a Electrical Wholesaler (trainee warehouse manager), i left when i was 20 to take a year out in Australia good times, i came back couldn't get back into the trade due to recession. I've been looking at new career due to having a 7month of boy and wanting a better lifestyle for myself and family, choosing a career i want and would love to do.

Just come here for some advice on what i should do. I've always been into computers and technology of sorts,fixing common problems with my own PC's, game consoles, mobile, but never have decided to get more into it because it involved college ( never liked classroom environments ) or so i thought. I would like to a job where it involved fixing problems, repairing PC's etc.
    I've been looking around on what courses i can do and the obvious seems the Comptia A+. I've looked at my local college course cost £976, i also had a email off Home Learning College who do the course but after reading reviews doesn't look a good idea to go with them. So now i've been looking at self studying, due to my lifestyle of working 8-5 weekdays, looking after my son. What books should or i be looking at to get me started.

This is something i want to do, so would this be the right path to start? Also what are the job situations like out there for such a career?

2. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Welcome :D

look through other threads in regards to self study, you will save a lot of money.

A+ is a good starter for getting into I.T, never done it myself but seems popular on here :biggrin

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First off, welcome to the forums.

As you have correctly figured out, you don't need a course. All you need are some books, an old computer or two, and some time. I generally recommend the A+ All-in-One 7th edition by Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts 2nd edition by Pyles.

Right now, everybody and his brother is looking to get into IT, so competition for entry-level jobs is fierce. Although it's not impossible to get a job, the job search can be difficult and discouraging. Best advice I can give you is to not give up.

After you finish the A+, you might consider grabbing the Network+ and MCDST (or MCITP for Vista/Win7) certifications. But I wouldn't recommend certifying beyond this level until you get some real-world experience under your belt.

Again, welcome. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

You've come to the right place for some sound advice!

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome.

As above!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D