hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by anishmax2004, Oct 8, 2009.

1. anishmax2004

anishmax2004 New Member

Hi everyone. My names Anish, have wasted the last two years at university doing law but didnt enjoy it and kind of messed up to be honest, because i hardly attended any lectures and just ended up partying most of the time. I'm working in a call centre at the moment, but want too start a career in IT, even though i dont really have any knowledge about computers except the basics like using the internet,word,etc. Have been looking at the training courses, but they seem a little bit expensive. If there are any other people that have started from scratch and worked themselves up then some advice would be really useful.

Certifications: none yet
  2. alicat

alicat Nibble Poster

If I was in your position, I would be applying for first line helpdesk roles, using your callcentre experience, as most first line roles are as much about customer service as about IT knowledge. In the meantime, I wouldn't go to a training provider, I would look into getting the comptia a+ through self study, there is a lot of advice on here recommending books, and resources that you can use.

Thats how I started out, I had alot of phone experience, and that helped me get my foot in the door.

Certifications: BA, ISEB Software Testing, N+, MCP
    WIP: 70-646
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I started out with 18 years of "messing around with computers". That got me a job as an entry-level field service tech. I then worked my way up one step at a time, getting desktop administration experience, then server administration experience, then network administration experience.

I got all my certifications through self-study and real-world experience. You can do the same. I'd recommend that you get the A+, Network+, and MCDST, but no farther until you build some experience.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!