Hello!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by MattHowley, Oct 8, 2008.

1. MattHowley

MattHowley New Member

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd come on here and say hi and everyone (well, anyone that wants to read this) a little bit about me and why I'm on here.

I'm thinking about coming to the IT industry and have been considering it for a while. The big problem I have is that I don't have experience in the field or any formal qualifications in IT (although I'm reasonably educated to A level standard). Currently I work in the Prison Service as a Prison officer and have been for 5 years but I need new challenges to get me going!

What I'm interested to know is what the best way is of getting into the industry? It seems difficult to get any kind of employment without experience, which leaves people like me in a catch 22 position. I'm willing to put time and effort into training, but don't want to take on expensive courses without knowing it'll pay off in the long run! Also, if anyone has any advice about what courses to take initially to make me a decent asset then that'd be appreciated!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you all and seeing what everyone has to say!

It's great to be here, and a pleasure to meet you all :)

Matt

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certainly there are a lot of positions that require experience... but there are also IT positions that do not require experience. They might prefer experience - who wouldn't? - but many don't require it. Those are the jobs you should be looking for.

Certifications and classes are not a substitute for experience. However, getting certifications can give you an advantage of other people who have the same amount of experience as you have. I'd recommend the A+, Network+, and MCDST certifications as they are solid, entry-level certifications.

You don't need to take expensive courses - get a few books and start studying. For the A+, I recommend the A+ All-in-One Exam Guide Sixth Edition by Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts by Pyles.

Don't wait until you're certified - start looking and applying now. When you get the A+, add it to your CV and keep looking.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome aboard...
    Agree with BM, especially:

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hi Matt, welcome to CF :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hi! Welcome!

Advice: ^ As above. Plus, if you do decide get to a book and study at home, remember that there are plenty of us here to help you out. Don't get stuck and give up! Just ask.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  9. MattHowley

MattHowley New Member

Cheers everyone! It's great to see so much support, and considering it looks like I will be taking the home self-study option then I may be making use of the expertise of the people on here to help the through!

I find it quite amazing that you can find the course materials for something like the CompTIA A+ for £50 or so, but people still want to charge £400 to do it, and that doesn't even include the exam fees! Scandalous!

So one more little question from the people that know. I'm reasonably computer literate, since I half studied a science degree, so I'm confortable with Word, Excel etc and I can do pretty basic home computer upgrades (replace hard drives, fit new memory and components, that sort of thing). Considering the A+ certification is pretty much the required entry level qualification, is it worth doing something like the ECDL beforehand? Or would I just be wasting my money on stuff I already know? And how would I find exam centres and sign myself up to take the exam once I was ready for them?

Cheers everyone for all your help and making me feel welcome :)

Matt

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Instructors and tutors don't work for free. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009