Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by UglyDef, Jan 6, 2007.

1. UglyDef

UglyDef New Member

hope u all hada great new year

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Certainly did thanks. :biggrin

What brings you to our corner of the web?

3. UglyDef

UglyDef New Member

i am new to IT and wondering if i really should pay 4.5k to do a training course, first impression here tells me its a no. But the school seem very reputable.. advent training

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

To try and get an impartial view of the provider try using this forums 'search' facility and typing in "advent".

Alternatively you may want to have a good luck around our Training and Development forum.

An important thing to consider though is that people tend to be far more vocal about bad experiences than good ones.

Any more questions - Just Ask! Thats what we're here for! :biggrin

5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im with advent, and they have been fine for me. Looking back tho, if i had known about the forums i would have went the self study route and saved a fortune. It all depends on you tho, wether your comfortable studying alone, or if you prefer classroom guidance aswell. Heres a link to the self study guide.http://www.certforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11831
    If there is anything more specific you wanna know about advent, then ask away. And welcome to CF! :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Advent might be fine, but self-study saves you a ton of money. :)

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

From someone whom has paid a ton of money, if i could do it all again then self study would be my choice.Save your hard earned cash and do the sensible thing :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Raffaz

Which is exactly what i said :)

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ummm... What he said!

Seriously, I think if I was in the situation that most people are in when considering moving into IT, I would choose the self-study route. Save myself 8 grand - spend 2 grand on books, equipment and stuff and the other 6 grand on living expenses whilst I studied.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do - you'll find no end of advice and help on this forum (as well as the odd bit of comic relief...)

:biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. BosonMichael

Great minds, and all that. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. UglyDef

UglyDef New Member

i think i will save my money and go self study, thx for all your help :)

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

True! But the with the self study route you have to put in tons of motivation and be very strict with your study time. Like Raffaz said:-

"It all depends on you tho, wether your comfortable studying alone, or if you prefer classroom guidance aswell. "

Maybe you should have a look at several learning providers before signing with advent.

Have you tried CATS
    They offer Classroom and home study learning through video training and even supply an exam test software like transcender.

Good luck with your studies

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  18. BosonMichael

Several thousand dollars saved motivates me quite well, thanks. ;) heh!

19. Raffaz

Worth noting, that advent supplies transcender aswell, ive got 3 here :)

20. Lugosi

Lugosi Bit Poster

Self study is a cheap option and proves your motivation levels:D . But really requires a huge amount of dedication and self discipline.
    You might also have a look at a combination of classroom and self study.

Classroom study, if you pick the right place(loads of research needed to select the right place here) gives you the opportunity to do everything hands on without having to virtualise each set up(i.e using real equipment) whilst having people around you to bounce ideas and problems off.
    Other people there also learning so you get to learn from their mistakes first hand as well.
    All the time having knowledgable trained instructors around you to answer questions and to point you in the right direction.

Once you have that and you've developed a solid base skill set self study is far easier because now you've already done most the things you're expanding on.
    You're not bashing around in the dark waiting for a bit of illumination each time things dont seem to make sense. And you have a few phone numbers of people to call for advice or support.

It costs more this way, but it does accelerate the process and personally I felt it gave me a more solid grounding than had I tried to just grind through it myself, Im not sure if others will disagree or agree with that.
    I am an unabashed shim or shiv, or whatever it is, for the company I trained with. I thought they were fantastic in every aspect and as much as it eventually cost me I dont regret a penny of it, but Im sure there are other companies that work the same way and really give you a solid grounding for whatever set of qualifications and skills you want to develop.

Really look at the way you think you can learn, and at the level of self discipline and motivation you will be able to maintain over a LONG period of time, and then weigh that up against the cost of doing some or all of your training in a classroom with other people around.
    Then decide which way to go. And ask loads of questions all the time! Of everyone!!

Certifications: MCSE,MCSA messaging, MCITP Enterprise Admin, Security+, Net+, A+ etc
    WIP: Loads of stuff!