Hello to you all :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Comp_Student1, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Comp_Student1

Comp_Student1 New Member

Hi to you all,

I am in the process of signing up to do a course with computeach, the course is Security Professional.
    it consists of:

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Security + Certified
    MCSE
    MCSA
    MCP
    With credit towards MCDBA
    Total cost £5750 (dear god)

I will have to visit Dudley for 24 Days too.

I have read alot of bad Feedback from everyone about distance learning but from where a live there are no other options unless i train myself with books and sit the exams with protech (i think its called). I have looked at colleges and it will take 1 year to do the CompTIA A+ on its own at 1 day a week at night, which isnt an option.
    I would welcome any coments you all have regarding my choice of course or use of teaching method.
    I am unemploed and hope to devote all my time to pass this as soon as i can, I am aware that this is going to be hard but am willing to give it a go.
    I will be using search option for help but if anybody has any information which may help me get through this course ie. books to buy etc will be a great help.
    I hope i dont have an experience like some have had with this company.

Hello again to you all

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - you are unemployed... how are you going to afford this? even if you get a loan, you will have to pay back...

all there will provide is the books and then you prob have a day in class, but you will have to find out exactly how many days in-class training you will recieve per course/module.

if it aint many, and remember, thats an if, then surely you are basically doing self study?

3. Comp_Student1

Comp_Student1 New Member

I have 5 days in center hands on and exams,
    then 7 seperate 2 day visits for exams.
    then 5 days for final exam it says.

I think most of my learing will be done by myself from home with support.

It works out that im doing self study yes, but they will instruct me in what i need to study which may help and save time.

I have savings which will mean i dont need to get one of those dodgy loans.

I will of course check the small print but they say that they will pay for any exam if i fail and pay for it again. They say(pinch of salt) that they will also help me get a job, probibly end up in iraq or somewhere local like that. But its the quals im after in a short time which appeals to me.
    I ve read that self teaching only gets you half the quals in the same time so thats why im considering it.
    Im from merseyside by the way and there is little around.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Expensive! Also how long does the training last for? I mean you are going to shell out almost £6k but does that get you say 2 years of training? If so then you will probably have to fork out more cash to continue your studying.

Also paying for training doesn’t speed up the whole cert process. You will spend 90% at home with your nose in a book or whatever extra training materials Computeach have provided for you.

Have you looked at other training providers so you can get an idea of what is available and at what cost? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Comp_Student1

Comp_Student1 New Member

I have looked at the small print on the contract to enrol on the course and it looks well iffy.
    I may now try to study from home and do my copTIA a+ then do the test.
    I have been on the CompTia web site and tried to find a book about it and found loads but which one is best.
    If anybody has used books to learn and study for the A+ can anybody recomend a book that will be usefull for this.
    Ive heard of the mike mayers book etc but which one is best ?

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have a look in the A+ section of this forum. There are some pinned topics on the books.

One of the favourites round here is the Mike Meyers All-in-one book.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Comp_Student1

Comp_Student1 New Member

Thanks for the info.
    Ive heard and read through searching that that one is the best, Looks like im going to by that one.

thanks again

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685