Hello To Everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Gingerbeard, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard Bit Poster

Hi All,

Just registered so I though I would introduce myself, I have been working in I.T. on a part-time basis for 5 years providing initial support, purchasing consultation and generally covering all I.T related issues for a SME business based in Newport South Wales who manufacture valves (interesting I know!), during this period I also did a manufacturing 'day job' with them.

I have always been interested in I.T. but sort of fell into manufacturing, the oppurtunity arose to provide thier I.T. support due the imcumbent person leaving, anyway I know have a full-time I.T. job with the same business since March this year.

Even it was a part time role I have learned a lot in 5 years as we have gone through re-cabling (co-axial to Cat5), new Win2000 server and numerous Pc re-builds etc, also during this period I have leared a lot with respect to I.T. project planning, although I am not sure how many things I do by the book.

I am really glad to have found this forum as I now want to get some certification and will asking some questions about that in the coming days, also I am hoping maybe I can be of help.

Thanks for reading.

Gingerbeard

Certifications: GCSE in Computer Science, HNC in Manufac
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hey, Ginger.

Welcome aboard from another <taffy> !

Sounds like you have lots of <hands on experience>.

Good luck for the future. :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day gingerbeard!

I'm curious, tell me are these thermionic valves, if so what are they used for?

I am aware that many audio amps still use good olde valves as they cant be beaten by semi-conductors.

Or have I gone off at a tangent? :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard Bit Poster

Hi All,

Thanks for the welcome all.

Hey Boyce, I heard a quote that a taffy is never more than a mile from another no matter were they are in the world, what do you reckon!,

I think I have gained a lot of experience, I get the job done, I just don't think I do it in the easiest way at times, also I want to do better and perhaps learn how to do things 'properly', finally I am lucky because I have a job but I have learned that in this area certification is a must when it comes to I.T. and if things go wrong here then I need the cetification.

Hey Bluerinse, sorry to dissapoint, our valves are big beasts which are used in piplines, refineries etc.

Finally guys where is the best place to post regaring certification / course advise, I am guesing 'Training & Development'?

Thanks all.

Gingerbeard

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Bingo!

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

7. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard Bit Poster

Thank you

8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Croeso, glad to have you aboard and hello from just down the road (Chepstow).:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard Bit Poster

Hi Baba,

Thanks for the welcome, I was out driving round Chepstow last weekend, my wife got a new car and she wanted a gentle spin out from 'Port.