Hello to all!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Speedy, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Speedy

Speedy New Member

Hi to all.

Let me start by saying I really could do with some advice (although it seems that after reading some threads, most of my questions have been answered!)

My Background, not much IT experience, I can build/fault find most things, but not much network experience (other than my wifi at home)

My general idea was to do A+ then possiably N+ then MCSE. I have been tempted to do a course that is run by Cerco (http://www.cercotraining.co.uk/details.asp) which you came out with a CCSN (I think similar to an A+) What atracted me to it was that you pay half the fees at the start and they get the second half after you start a job. They help you get the job and they also claim to have 3 times as many jobs wanted than people on the course!

Another idea was a company called UK IT Training (http://www.ukittraining.com/) who offer a course doing the basics (EDCL) A+ N+, MCSA and MCSE 2003. I thought this would be ideal, as it would 'break me in' gently! There are no costs for this course (The CERCO one was £5,000 although it was accomadation & food for 4 weeks included) UK IT Training also claim to offer a 'GUARANTEED JOB' of at least £20,000 after completion (or after 3months they pay you £500 until you do) Again they claim to help you into the position.

What I need to know is:
    1 Does anyone have experience of these companies?
    2 Does anyone think it would be a good investement?
    3 Will this give me a better chance of getting a decent start
    on the IT ladder?

My aim is to move to the US in 5-6 years and work in IT over there, the only problem being I could get qualifications as long as my street, but without proper 'work experience' who is going to touch a 30 year old taxi driver?

sorry for being long winded about this, but I think you will understand how seroius about this I am!

Thanks

Certifications: Its all new 2me!
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A simple responce from me:

1) Not personally
    2) Nope
    3) Nope

:rolleyes:

That's just my opinions though, others may say otherwise.

Welcome to CF! Hope I haven't put you off! 8)

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums Speedy :D

I have to agree with Simon's answers. Having been through the training providers route, I would always go it alone noe. NOt because I had a bad experience with my privider, the exact opposite actually.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Speedy. Welcome to CertForums. Any relation?

[​IMG]

jk :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome to CF, Speedy - hope we can help :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Speedy and welcome to CF.

Are you a black taxi driver, one that has done the knowledge? If so, I would have thought that you could earn more doing what you are already doing than in entry level jobs in IT.

How long do you think it would take to pass all of the related exams?

IMHO you have just sited a goal which could well take you years. It took me three years full time study to attain MCSE alone.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I thought taxi drivers were loaded? 8)

Anyways I can only agree with what the other guys have said. There isn’t much point handing over the cash for a whole load of certification training before you have even landed your first IT job. Aim for the A+ first then apply for an entry level IT job, when you are in an IT job you can aim for MCSE if you feel IT is the right career path for you.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF. I see you are thinking about training providers just remember one thing they are trying to sell you there product so to speak. So they have to make it sound good not that I am knocking them as I have not tried them I started self study a while ago now and not much further on but the good thing is I am not paying out a lot of cash.

Also I wonder to myself will I ever get by at entry level IT as I am also a Taxi Driver and as you know its not the best wages, But the wages at entry level look very poor. I think it would be worth it in the end I hope :unsure

Anyway good luck :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Law, did you do the knowledge?

10. Bigsistermidnight

Bigsistermidnight Bit Poster

Hiya and welcome to the forum

Certifications: SG Computing Studies(ha ha),ECDL
  11. Speedy

Speedy New Member

Hi Law, and thanks to allfor your comments! I live in a small town of Tamworth, near Birmingham. The Knowledge test consitsted of 5 small routes and if you failed one, you had another question until you got it right! (sounds like a lot of these 'IT Training' courses!

I am now thinking of doing my A+ at home as I have most the knowledge so it should be OK, then try for a Job at entry level.

Another question: What is deemed better A+ or MCDST?

Again, I have been a member for a few hours, and I have learnt loads. Again thanks to all!! :D

PS the myth about the taxi drivers wage is true if your prepared to work 18 hours a day for the rest of your life, as you cant spend it!

Certifications: Its all new 2me!
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

They are two totally different things, like comparing apples to oranges. The A+ is a vendor neutral cert and is globally recognised and it doesn't expire. It is considered by most people here, me included to be the best place to start any career in IT. It will give you a solid foundation of hardware and various operating systems Win9x W2K, XP etc on which to build your knowledge.

The MCDST is a vendor cert which is designed to hone your desktop skills on Windows XP.

13. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Yes I totaly agree wee taxi drivers should be living in a palace acording to the myth LOL

To Bluerinse
    No I live in a town just outside Glasgow in Scotland and there is no need for any knowledfe test as it is a small town.

Certifications: None
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah yes of course. The last place I worked in England, three of my fellow colleagues left even though they were on good money to become black cab drivers in London. They were convinced that they were going to be rolling in it.

The discipline and the workload that they had to go through to pass the knowledge and get their license was quite unbelievable. If I had gone through that I would stick to it :eek:

15. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings speedy :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  17. wizard