Hello There

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by saz17, Oct 13, 2009.

1. saz17

saz17 New Member

Hello everyone

I stumbled across this site from typing in "MCDST" into Google and thought you guys might be able to answer my questions a litter better and more honestly than some of the information on the web.

I am 29 years old and from South Yorkshire. I have a dead end job working in a call centre and decided I would like to take a career path in IT. My reasons for this are that I am involved in the running of a few websites/ vbulletin forums in my personal time and I have always enjoyed tinkering about on computers. I know that is not really a solid enough reason for making career based decisions but to be honest I figured you might aswell train in something you enjoy.

I am currently working towards a BSc in Computing and Design (started this year) with the Open University but have been advised to get my foot in the door to the IT industry it would be wise for me to get a Microsoft certification and looking at IT based vacancies, the Microsoft Certs are a common requirement. I am thinking about the MCDST as if I can get employment on support level I am gaining experience in the industry whilst I progress with my degree and hopefully can move in the direction of the degree.

I am not sure which companies for Microsoft Certification are reputable, what it will cost etc. It is pretty much the first time I have looked at it today, however it does seem a logical thing to do and I would be greatful for any advice, I shall have a look around now see what questions have already been answered..

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Whoever advised you to get a job while in school is *very* wise. You're fortunate; most people don't get that advice... they get their degree and wonder why it doesn't magically open doors to server administration or network administration jobs. Only real-world experience can do that (unless you happen to have an uncle who is an IT Manager or something!).

Exactly right. The MCDST is a good certification to pursue. I'd recommend doing the A+ and Network+ first, but there's no set order in which they have to be completed. The A+ provides the foundation upon all of your other studies will build.

Welcome to the forums, Sarah!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. saz17

saz17 New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

I think I shall take your advice! I have a free period of 4 months in between my uni modules and I am going to see if that is a realistic time frame to complete the A+. It is going to be a very tight schedule doing the degree, the A+ and working a full time job lol

4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums, Sarah, and good luck in your career change!

5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome :D

Good luck.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Good luck

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome and good luck. :)