Hello there.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by trigent_killer, Jan 25, 2008.

1. trigent_killer

trigent_killer New Member

I don't normally bother with introductions on forum sites, but if that is the way of things here, then I will say a big HI, to everyone.

My sig says it all. I am seriously looking into a career in IT, and Cert Forums have already saved me shelling out five big ones for IT training.

I am now going to undertake the Comp TIA A+ off my own back and will probably pop in here for some help along the way.

If you don't see me posting, then it's probably because I am lurking and reading much of the good advice that has already been posted.

I am the wrong side of 30, I live in beautiful north Wales and I am currently a health professional. I am a very experienced home user of computers and I have an obscene number of computers actually up and running although only a few can be said to be anything like current technology.

I am going nowhere in my current job which is set to become more academic and that is why I am considering a change (although not for the first time) to a career in IT.

I am looking forward to interacting with you all and perhaps when I have got a little further, then maybe I can offer some advice to others.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ah, so you're 29 or younger. Well, we won't hold that against you. 8)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. trigent_killer

Perhaps things are different on the CF, but to me the wrong side as you put it was a long time ago. Put it this way, as far as I am concerned, I am just the right side of 40 :)

So I should just about have enough time left to make my fortune and retire at 55. :dry

6. BosonMichael

I know what you meant... :) ...but I must say, I enjoy my 30s more than I did my 20s. The end of my time on earth might be getting closer... but life's getting better, not worse.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. no_one_here

no_one_here Bit Poster

Welcome O Killer of Three Men.

(tri...gent...killer -- oh forget it.)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, MCDST Network+ A+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF 8)

It's not how old you are in years, it's how young at heart you are that matters.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. trigent_killer

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I made a start today, ordering three Comp TIA A+ books. Two of them were recommended on the self study sticky thread and I got the For Dummies book, because it wasn't that expensive and I find them easy going when you want a quick reference.

I won't perpetuate this greeting thread with more questions, so I'll leave this thread now and I'll move on to the regular forums if there is anything else I need to know.

See you there.

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings & Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. BosonMichael

Inexpensive or not, that A+ For Dummies book will be more of a boat anchor than a flotation device. Had a co-worker use it to study, and failed... twice. I turned her on to they All-in-One by Meyers, and she passed EASILY. She said that it made all the difference in the world, and that the Dummies book was worthless.

13. trigent_killer

I have ordered the All-in-One and the Street Smarts, but I like the "For Dummies" series and have several. I wouldn't expect that one book alone to help me to pass my exam, but I can have a lot of time on standby in my present job where trying to get into a technical book without being near to a PC would probably be a waste of time.

I see the "For Dummies" series as a handy introduction, a quick reference and in this case, an easy read when I might only have 10 minutes to spare.

Don't worry, I will not be relying on it.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks for buying the A+ Street Smarts book. I can use the royalties. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+