Hello there!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Daft Lass, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Daft Lass

Daft Lass Bit Poster

Just a quick email to say hello. This is my first ever visit to CF and it looks really helpful as i'm new in IT and on the verge of making the decision of my life and a whole new career change.

First question: Which training company - Advent Training or Computeach?

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCSA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

To answer you question, personally, neither!

Ultimately it is your call though. See what others have to say. 8)

3. Daft Lass

Daft Lass Bit Poster

Ok why wouldn't you go for either?

What would you suggest?

All opinions please!:biggrin

4. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

Hello!

I studied from a book (Sybex or Microsoft press) so I can't say from personal experience but a few people I have met in IT say they have used CT and they had similar software and tasks to cmplete that are in the normal books.

The only difference I could see was the price tag. If you can manage your time to study and keep it up use a book I'm sure in the long run it will be far, far cheaper.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings & welcome to CF

Both training companies are over priced, compared to some of the others out there.

I have dealings with both of these companies, it was not good. CF is not here to put training companies down or point out their bad points. Although it doesn't stop others from doing this:dry

CF is here to point you in the right direction, it's up to you to decide if you want to go in that direction.8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Daft Lass

Daft Lass Bit Poster

However I am not strict enough with my studying to just learn from books - I need someone to guide me.

At the moment I spend my spare time in the evenings drinking copious cans of beer/wine/you name it! So I would need some sort of incentive.:oops:

What other computer training would any of you suggest that are less expensive?

I work four days a week and a mother of two (explains the drinking!)

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What are of IT are you interested in? IT support, web design? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Daft Lass

Daft Lass Bit Poster

I'd like to study towards a MCSA or MCSE - eventually!

9. Sparky

Cool, I would recommend studying towards the A+ and Network+ before starting the MCSE. That will give you a taste of what studying for certs is like. If all goes well then commit to the MCSE, it’s a big cert but worth the hard work! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Daft Lass

Daft Lass Bit Poster

Thanks, Could I do these on an inexpensive distance learning course??

Questions, questions, questions.....!:rolleyes:

11. Sparky

12. Daft Lass

Daft Lass Bit Poster

Ok so you've persuaded me! I've ordered the book!

Defining inexpensive to me being a 'lady' is very difficult! ha!

Thanks for the advice though !:D

13. Sparky

hee hee! :biggrin

Im not saying a word!! 8)

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Daft Lass.

To be honest, we have read so many negative posts from people ranting about their experiences with various training providers and about people losing large sums of money and not attaining the certs they wanted. Now we try and encourage people starting out on the certification track to at least try to self study and if you absolutely must sign up with a training provider make sure you do your home work first.

The first step is to use the search feature in our forum and enter the names of the companies you mentioned and see what is returned. My bet is that you will gain a better understanding of our stance.

CompTIA's A+ is indeed a great starting point, it is a globally recognised entry level cert and will help form the right foundation of knowledge before moving onto to vendor certs with Microsoft.

Take one step at a time, don't commit yourself financially. The MCSE is a big goal and it may be tougher than you imagine. I found it to be very difficult in sections, it started off being fairly straight forward and then just got heavy and tough. You might want to re-consider and go for MCSA, which is less exams and a tad lighter on the brain.

Good luck,
    Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Cracking name BTW - have you got a scottish cousin called 'Dippit Burd' or a cockney one called 'Dopy Tart'?

:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

As for the training companies you mentioned - they're both pants and ridiculously priced. You'd be better off spending the eight grand on a quality home lab, some books, six months' off work studying and, of course, the all important Beer/Wine/Strong Spirits

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

welcome to cert forums

was wondering if you had thought about studing part time at college a lot of colleges do the A+ either as an evening class or via E-learning.

just an idea

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  18. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im currently studying with Advent, been with them since May, and ive had no problems with them. Although, i think looking back now i would have been fine with the self study thing, coz im a quick learner anyway.
    I think these are probably one of the better companies, although the prices are still high. You get decent study materials from them. Ive had transcender discs for every exam so far. And ive recently been sent the microsoft press book for 70-271 (ISBN 0-7356-2227-2). They also cover your resits if you fail, and you can get your accomodation paid for if you have to travel to Birmingham (although this needs to be agreed with them before you join).
    Ive also never had any problems getting in touch with a mentor, they usually reply within a few hours, unless its a weekend. The workshops have been fine so far aswell, and theres a buffet included (ive only done the 2 A+ ones so far, so i cant comment on the Microsoft ones yet). Any more questions just ask.

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  20. Daft Lass

Daft Lass Bit Poster

Well thanks so much you lot, plenty of food for thought!
    I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again soon!

By the way my user name - Daft Lass - well, because I am!!!:blink

Cheers!