Hello Starting Out On the A+ path

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Chinomarino, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Chinomarino

Chinomarino New Member

Hi,

Just picked up the A+ Mike Meyer's book for self study. Hoping to complete around March. My question is, once i have passed the A+ exams do i then go for N+ and MCDST before applying for a position in I.T?

Many Thanks

WIP: Comptia A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't wait until you get certified - start looking and applying for entry-level IT jobs NOW. As you get certifications, add them to your resume/CV and continue to apply. Certifications, although often desired, are not required for the vast majority of entry-level jobs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. quuuaid

quuuaid Nibble Poster

Hello and welcome!

All the best with your A+ studies!

One thing to bear in mind if your planning on taking A+ in March, then N+, then MCDST is that the MCDST exams (20-271 and 20-272) are currently being "retired" on 30th June 2011, so you'd have to take the exams before that date. Depending on when in March you take the A+ exams, that could make for a busy March\April-June!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: Drupal, PHP
  4. Chinomarino

Chinomarino New Member

I have been looking at entry level jobs and well in devon they are few and far between. Are there any government schemes to help starting out on the I.T career path or other options?

Thanks again

WIP: Comptia A+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There are apprentaship schemes out there.

Instead of looking for adverts that say entry level or whatever why not take some initiative and apply to companies anyway around your are, state that you are looking for your first IT position and that you are studying towards IT certifications.

Pick up the yellow pages and pickout companies which will have IT systems that will need supporting and this can be lots of different businesses from building firms right upto blue chip companies.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+