hello please any help or advice welcomed

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by robertylee69, Jan 15, 2006.

1. robertylee69

robertylee69 New Member

hello all my names rob 26 and currently in the Royal Air Force i am due to leave in a couple of months time and before i do i am being sent to plymouth to do my MCSE and network +. I dont really know what to expect but i do know i want a new career in this area of IT as my career at the moment is due to come to a bitter end as 10,000 redundances put me and a lot more people out of work!

The problem i have is not doing the course itself its finding a company to take me on as these courses are meant to take a long time to complete people normally have working experience as they are doing the course!

i do not have any experience what so ever and i will be completeing the course in a total of 5 weeks. all jobs advertised in the norwich area are asking for minimum of 2 years experience which i dont have nor am i likely to have if no employer takes me on!

offcourse i aint expecting to be earning top pay just yet i mean i dont even know what to expect in the course which in a way it excites me i always love a challenge and being in the forces i am used to being thrown in at the deep end and getting on with it!

i have always fixed and maintained my m8s computers for the past 7 years and i am forever tinkering with mine and finding new stuff out! i know its not the same as what i would be doing in a professional enviroment but that is the whole reason why i am here.

Any advice or guidance you guys have to offer even if its just a company near the norwich area i could call and apply for a job i would be forever greatfull! and in return for any help offered i will never kick another midget aslong as i live!

HOORAY FOR THE LITTLE PEOPLE! hope to hear of anyone soon! great site by the way! :D

EDIT: (SG) Paragraphed for easier reading.

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Midget-kicking isn't compulsory outside the RAF.

Welcome.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hit there and welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi Rob and welcome to CF. Short answer I'm afraid is your going to struggle. My advice would be to try and find either a junior/Assistant IT job on low pay around 10-12k or if you can take a part time job in another area and try to get voluntary work in IT whilst looking for a full time IT job as employers will see it as hands on experience.

IT in my opinion is getting harder to get into as the boundaries between IT jobs merge. I've seen a lot of jobs ask for hardware/software skills, programming and web designing all merged into one job whereas they used to be 3 jobs. With IT you need to constantly evolve with the industry (hence why I'm trying to learn to use Linux, php & mysql).

If you can you may want to consider taking the A+ and Network+ certs first and work up to the MCSE as it's a difficult task with no hands on experience. The MCSE is 7 exams and to do that in 5 weeks is a major task if not impossible. Rob can I ask are you paying for the course yourself or is the RAF paying?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF Rob! :biggrin

I have to agree with everything that Slypie has said. :thumbleft

6. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CertForums! :)
    I am volunteering in computers one day a week.
    That's also a good way of getting some job experience.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Rob and welcome to the forums. Can't argue with the advice thusfar given, all very good :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome aboard :thumbleft.
    Sorry to hear about your job loss.

Can't really offer anything, i think Slypie has covered it. :)

Best of luck

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome Rob. Slypie nailed it, but all I'd offer is hang around here if you are really serious about getting into IT - there are Guys here from every level of the field, and ALL are willing to help others in positions such as yourself.

Good look m8 - CF is your friend. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL well good luck with that :eek:

It took me three years full time study to pass the seven difficult exams to attain MCSE. 5 weeks wouldn't be enough for somebody with no experience to pass one of the easier ones.

Do not make the mistake of thinking these exams are straight forward and easy, they are anything but that. These exams are very tough. some are a nightmare. It took me a year of study before I felt ready to take *one* of the electives.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685