hello peeps

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ITdreamer, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ITdreamer

ITdreamer New Member

hi everybody, i am stuart & looking to get into IT, although i am 42 i love IT & should really have done this years ago but i am sure everybody knows how it is & things just keep being pushed in front of IT training. i have looked into loads of training providers but was always put off by the price but yesterday i removed a virus off my gaffers laptop & he said i should get certified so i kind of stumbled onto your self-study thread, read it & here i am as a new guy on a forum for geeks from all kinds of exotic places like USA, sth Africa & my city of birmingham in the UK. i hope you will easy on us newbies when we ask questions as some forums seem to be filled with bitter & twisted ppl who wont accept that everybody has to start somewhere.
    so here is a newbie looking forward to getting some good advice & enjoying the banter on here too. UTV

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

welcome to CF, merry christmas! Have you chosen what you want to study first?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. ITdreamer

ITdreamer New Member

hi Dales,
    at the moment i am going to follow Zimbo's route on the self study plan which will take to MCSE. once that has been done & if there is a job for me i will start in networking but carry on studying to hopefully get into IT security. i like the idea of battling with a virus to see if i can beat my previous time haha. first time i removed 'system fix' it took me 16 hours. i done my gaffers laptop yesterday in 4 hours so i am improving haha. what part of IT are you in? if you dont mind me asking

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Ahhh evil spock!!

Well I guess every part is the answer to that, I'm an IT Manager & Network Admin which means I get to show staff how to use excel properly as well as rolling out new servers and infrastructure whilst informing senior management why its a good idea to invest in their IT systems.
    Its certainly a varied role and has taught me quite alot in the year that I've been doing it.

Might I suggest you take a look at the A+ exam first as the MCSE is pretty tough going and is meant for people already performing the roles associated with the exams. IT is a great field to be in but I dont know what career you were in previously. IT is a service (get ready to be treated as such, the same as the canteen staff and the cleaners).

Also in IT 99.999% you have to start from the bottom (IT helpdesk that sort of thing) so you will need to consider financial stuff too, My first IT job gave me about 15K a year and that was about 10 years or so ago. Financially you may struggle, its not ageist but by mid 30's or so you have normally climbed some sort of ladder and its hard to go down a few rungs, especially if you have a family to look after.

Good luck though we're a friendly bunch here and do have a few pub meetups a year normally in brum.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF:) and remember age is just a number as hard work, enthusiasm and determination would get you doors open job wise. Don't let the low life's who think they know it all or have earned all the experience and no one else is good enough to venture into IT bother you.

Unfortunately, they're on every forum:), however the nice gals and guys supersede those sour grapes. Cheerio and best of wishes and don't be scared to ask questions so start firing away.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell