Hello peeps!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by romfordkev, Mar 19, 2004.

1. romfordkev

romfordkev New Member

Hi all! I'm pretty much a newcomer to the world of IT, almost exactly a year ago the extent of my computer knowledge amounted to how to switch one on. Got made redundant, used the money to enroll in an IT course and got my self A+, N+ and MCSA certified. Passed my last exam a couple of weeks ago and now looking for my first IT job. Was hoping my training provider would find me a job but I went with TopChoice Computer Careers in Croydon and anybody who saw Watchdog on BBC1 the other day will know why they didn't! :x

Glad I found this site, a lot of the others seem a little intimidating to someone new still trying to find his feet in the IT world. I must say everybody I speak to ends up making me feel quite depressed about the prospects of finding myself any kind of decent job after spending a year getting qualified - is the market as bad as people say?

Anyway, look forward to speaking to you all soon.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Welcome romfordkev (could translate into "Kevin Romford"...just a guess). Glad you could make it. All those certs and in search of a job. I hear you. It's taken me well over a year to turn my education into something that actually earns money. I'm still plugging away at it since most of what I do are part-time gigs.

Ultimately, no one can help you get a job except you. Yes, there are resources a plenty out there, but a training provider or recruiter won't have the same drive to work for you as you do. Time to start hitting the pavement.

Let us know what we can do to help. As the others here are fond of saying, I'm from the other side of "the pond" and can't give you meaningful advice about specfic jobs and such in your location. Fear not. Others will be along anytime who have a better grasp of the UK job market.

Glad you're here. Sorry to hear other sites are more "intimidating". We try to be a friendly lot and nobody will try to "pull rank". :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

We aint intimidating here romfordkev, you'll be glad to hear.

Welcome :!:

PS: Trip, I think he's kev, from Romford.

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums romfordkev, pull up a keyboard and make yourself at home. :mrgreen:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi and welcome to the wild and wacky world of IT.

Ask away, no matter what you want to ask it is never too trivial.

Regards

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

What they said, Romfordkev - a warm welcome to CF :D

Unfortunately it is an all too common tale these days - all cert'ed up, and no where to go :cry: But for what it's worth, I was until recently the same as you - had the certs, but still in a bum job with no prospects. Two years or so later, I'm in IT as last, so keep pushing Mate :D

btw - I did see that piece on Watchdog - fairly horrific, but I'm fairly sure they're not the only ones with those hollow promises. Still - you are the Master of your own Destiny, so go for it :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Geez! Another cultural goof up on my part. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Richardod

Richardod Bit Poster

Blimey kev you've done very well indeed to get to MCSA in a year you must have had some IT experience beforehand surely.
    I'm thinking of doing the MCSA course myself because i thought it would be easy to find work with that qualification.
    Check out jobserve there are over 20.000 IT jobs advertised on there at present.

Good Luck.

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Welcome Romfordkev, good luck with the job hunting. Just hang in there and keep plugging away, something will come up and probably when you're least expecting it :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  10. romfordkev

romfordkev New Member

Well thanks for the welcome and words of support, I'm sure you will see the first of many silly questions in the not too distant future!

btw, had a quick look on jobserve and it does look encouraging - thanks.

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Romfordkev. Welcome to the board and good luck with the job search.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685