Hello like minded peps

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by James, Nov 19, 2009.

1. James

James New Member

Hi Everybody,

I stumbled across this forum while searching for feedback on Advent training. I think it was the Master CIW Designer Course I was looking at. Anyway I was searching around for their prices and noticed that they are very hidden, to the point I gave up and searched for reviews, Hey presto here I am. Looked like a thriving little community so I thought I would register and say hi! so Hi.

Which brings me to my next topic of initial frustration. I have been in the web industry in one way or another for around 10 years, and around 10 years ago I took all manner of general IT related certification. Since then I've run a business for 4 years and then the last 2 and a half years I've worked at a Holiday company as kind of a webmaster type thing.

Anyway enough babbling. Yesterday 18/11/09 the company went into administration and Im redundant. Ahh poor me, it wasnt a surprise to be fair but I have been very lazy in regards looking for another position, that and the fact I had to give three months notice. Ok If you got this far, I thank you for listen, I am now gonna get to the point honest.

I have no certification to speak off and I want some. I have been on the Adobe site and am Interested in getting the "ACE Master Certification" in

CS Web Master
    * Adobe Acrobat Professional
    * Adobe Dreamweaver®
    * Adobe Flash®
    * Adobe Illustrator
    * Adobe Photoshop

that bits straight forward enough, Now the availble online self paced courses Adobe offer... I'm guessing the best one for me would be "Web Design and Developer Online Training Library" but looking at the overview there is no reference to "ACE" only ACA. Does anyone know where their is good ACE training material. Also does ACA get good recognition in the industry in general?

Any response from anyone would mean I would be entirely in their debt!!! thanks for listening to my troubles lol:D

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I dunno whether the ACE or ACA are well respected, nor do I know whether their courses are good. But what I can tell you is this: with a well-designed e-portfolio of code you've developed, you don't need a bunch of certifications to prove what you can do; you can show them. Without that e-portfolio, you'll have a tough time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. James

James New Member

Thanks BosonMichael!

yeah thats fair enough, Ive got my e-portfolio at www.jameshovey.com but its very dated and needs an injection of life. I think the ACE qualifications were to establish my Adobe CS skills. Thing is because my previous company has gone in to administration of course the website is down too! so I can't obviously demonstrate any skills in that! and as all the websites I have created before that Job are like 3 years old I need to get moving! hence the ACE / ACA requirements.

I have a meeting with learn direct 2moro morning so hopefully they can shed some light on a good certificate. May also do the ACE or ACA and carry on buying books on things like Social Media (halfway through the bible) at present. Am also setting up an ecommerce site selling minipc's using Joomla / Virtuemart so perhaps as you say the portfolio needs to speak volumes as well. I think I will try and cover as many bases as possible!

thanks for your advice!!!

4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Glad to assist. Welcome to the forums!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!