Hello from the new guy!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Finkenstein, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post a quick message saying hello! I've recently stumbled across this site and have been very impressed with all of the information available, as well as the friendliness of the members. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as well.

I've been in IT "professionally" since 1997 and on my own years prior to that. I was 2 electives away from my NT 4.0 MCSE, and got lazy. I passed 70-210, and again got lazy. My goal is to finally nail down my MCSE. I'm also back in college finally doing what I should have done 10 years ago. Needless to say it's been a busy few months. Hopefully I just don't get lazy again.

Well, I'll keep this short as to not be the boring one.

Have a great week!
    Lee

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Good luck with MCSE :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Luckily, the 70-210 still counts as the client exam requirement for the MCSE on 2003.

You can do it! Don't give up! :)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Maybe you should focus your goal on the MCSA first, as with your experience and the 70-210 you only need 3 more exams before the 31st of March to attain the MCSA (after that you can't use the 70-210). Then concentrate on the MCSE? It's easier to break it into smaller chuncks than to try to tackle the whole thing at once :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael

That is incorrect; after 31 March, 70-210 will no longer be offered, but you can still use it as a certification requirement for the 2003 certification track. Retired exams are still valid to fulfill requirements for active certification tracks.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Finkenstein

Thank you all for your posts and well wishes.

Yes, my goal is to start with the MCSA... I also do better going for little goals first, so hopefully that will help. I've been putting off 70-290 since mid 2005. My problem is that I think I'm ready and then I try some practice tests that seem completely unrelated to the material. For instance, I have a Transcender exam that seems to ask more 70-291 questions than it does 290. Some questions are even heavy group policy questions, AD design, multi-domain trusts, etc. Things that I never see in a 290 book or study guide. I'm hoping that I'll finally have the kick to just go for it. Heck, I've been working hands on with 2003 for 3 years... you'd think I'd get it by now. :biggrin

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF and best wishes with your studies:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  11. BosonMichael

There's been some complaints that there's a little bit of overlap between the 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, and 70-294 exam content. Occasionally, a question that you'd expect to see on a 293/294 exam would show up on the 290/291 exams. So it doesn't surprise me that there's some questions in 70-290 that look like they'd fit better in 70-291. :)

Been looking at some of your other posts, Fink... looks like you'll be a valuable asset to the community!

12. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  13. Finkenstein

That makes sense then. I'll keep that in mind when I run through those transcenders again. I guess that would mean if I do decent on the practice tests, I should do well on the actual exam. Here's hoping anyway. :biggrin

Also, thanks for the kudos... hopefully I can add a little part of me to the community here.

14. BosonMichael

Yes, if you use them correctly. When you go through a practice exam, remember that it can accurately gauge your ability to pass the exam ONLY the first time you've seen a batch of questions. After you've seen even a single question once, you will subconsciously remember that question on subsequent attempts (and the answer, if you're checking yourself afterwards). Even if it means you're only reading the question quicker the 2nd pass through, you're no longer "simulating" the exam. Don't take random exams, or take exams repeatedly until you can score 100%... because then, you're just memorizing stuff that you're not going to exactly see on the live exam.

To get the most out of a practice exam, follow these steps:
    1) Completely study a topic, including hands-on training, before you even touch a practice exam.
    2) Take ExamA (Exam1, whatever), which contains a unique batch of questions. When you're done, read EVERY explanation, even for the questions you answered correctly. You never know when the explanation will contain information on the WRONG choices that needs to be understood for the exam.
    3) Study the sections where you are weak by going back to the books and the hands-on work.
    4) When you think you're ready, take ExamB (again, containing a unique batch of never-before-seen questions). When you're done, read every explanation.
    5) Repeat Step 3 - study the sections where you're weak.
    6) Do NOT take the last exam (usually ExamC for most practice test products) until you think you are ready to take the real exam. Make this your final practice for the "real thing".
    7) If you want to take random exams after this point to brush up, that's fine... but do NOT take the score as an indicator of whether you'll pass the "real thing".... remember, you've seen these questions before on ExamA, B, and C.

Any questions? Comments? :)

15. Finkenstein

Great point, thanks. I can't lie, I often get eager to take a test and get bored with going over the things I already know, so I'll jump right to the test to see how I would do. I end up loading a 55 question practice test, get 25% of the way through it and then decide, "Yea, I guess I really needed to review those last sections." :rolleyes: Your process seems to make total sense. I'll give that a go when I start to do some NEW questions. 8)

Thanks for the suggestion!!

16. BosonMichael

Only reason I'm familiar with the process is because I write them for a living. ;) Glad to provide the advice.

Enjoy the forums, man!

17. Finkenstein

That sounds like a good gig. I guess I definitely need to heed your advice. :)

18. BosonMichael

Well... I enjoy coming to work every day, so I guess it is a good gig. :) Isn't that what it's all about - enjoying what you do, no matter what it is? :thumbleft

If you ever head southward, let me know. We'll go catch a Wings-Preds game.

19. mig2005

mig2005 New Member

Hie all ,

hope to ill have fun@cert-prep..

best luck to all of u .

cheers :)

20. Finkenstein

Absolutely! I actually have a few friends that moved out to the Nashville area about 2 years ago, and we've been talking about taking a road trip one of these days. I'd be up for a Preds game! Same goes for you... if you are in the area, let me know. We'll hit up a game.