Hello From The Deep-fried Ice Cube Factory

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Cholmondley-O'McTurk, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Cholmondley-O'McTurk

Cholmondley-O'McTurk New Member

Hello from me, and have a smile from me for reading this!

I will be brief. I am a late entrant trying to get into IT. I have three degrees and my A+, Network+ and Security+ (the last one passed only a few weeks ago).

I am thinking of doing MCTS in Windows 7 next.

I will try to help people if I can, but I don't feel comfortable presuming to give TOO much advice, as I have not made a conspicuous success of my own life (not self-pity, just facts!).

The one thing you will never get from me is a sermon, and if what I post occasionally sounds like one, I apologise in advance because it certainly isn't meant to.

So - that's all for now. Ask as you please, and hope to hear from you...

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nice introduction title. :)

Welcome to CertForums.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Welcome, whats your background?

One thing I always advise is don't over certify if new to the IT market because having too many certs can have an adverse impact on finding work.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome aboard! good luck with the job hunting. There have plenty of good threads on here for new starters, but feel free to ask away!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Cholmondley-O'McTurk

Cholmondley-O'McTurk New Member

Thank you for the welcome!

I will bear in mind what you say, as you are in IT and I'm not, and therefore I am quite content to take the view that you know rather more than I do! I was just trying to be supportive to Confuzedgurl the other day. If I sounded more emphatic than I meant to, well...

My background? I am currently a civil servant and court messenger. I must be/hope I am (for the sake of others!) the highest qualified court messenger in history. That's a confession, not a boast!

I did my IT degree to try and beef up my CV (I started with a Foundation Degree, and progressed it to the Honours when I found I was dong better than I expected). I graduated in 2009 and it took a while to realise that I would not get any immediate career use from it. Then I started to think about certifications.

And here I am! I am thinking about trying to volunteer in IT for a few hours on Saturday afternoons, or something. I would need guidance to begin with, but...

So - I am now reading the MCTS Windows 7 book, and will almost certainly make this the last one until I get a job. I don't have much money, which is another reason.

You were quite correct in saying that certs won't allow me to bypass practical experience (and nor should they!) as only experience can teach you that sometimes half a ton of stuff is left at the wrong door, and that the phone order got messed up as you distinctly said feet and not metres/No, I didn't/Yes, you DID! etc. etc. etc.

However, as a late entrant, I couldn't think of any other way to boost my chances of that vital first position.

Any other questions, ask away ! ! !

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012