HELLO FROM sEE!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sEE2046, Sep 17, 2008.

1. sEE2046

sEE2046 New Member

I am new to this IT world, I would like to change my career in IT at 29 without any IT experience. I am thinking go back to University or college...but...Am I too old for school at 29??? Please advise!!!?

I am thinking to go back to school, but I am not 100% sure if I should do it. If I go back to school, I have to quit my job without any main income. I had quit university 5 years ago, due to my personal and finance problems, since then I have been working as a waiter, I really hate my job, I wanted to change my career, but I don't know how to as I don't have any other skills, I always blaming myself that I didn't I work hard enough to finished my degree, and I am actually now living in regret and guilt, because as a foreigner, I had wasted so much hard earn money for the degree that I didn't finish.

I am now thinking to take a Internet application development degree course at Middlesex University, but what I am worry now is by the time I finished my degree, I will be 32 without any work experience, when I apply for a job, all others candidates will be mostly 10 years younger than me... My next issue is MONEY, I worry that I could not afford myself while I am studying without a full time job.

Or shall I take the IT certificate instead like cisco, A+ ??? Would it be quicker than a degree course? Would it be too difficult? Would it be easy to get a job with these certs? How long do they normally take? I am sorry if you think I am asking too many silly questions, I am actually do not have any IT experience at all

Or could you please kindly advise, what other course you think I should do? I would prefer to attend to the class instead of taking home learning course.
    Please help, how could I gain work experience which related to the course I wanted to take while I am studying full time.

I know there is nothing wrong working as a waiter, in fact, I am earning good money if you consider the education I have, but this is just not something that I am enjoying doing, this is my job, but not a career that I want, Thank you for all yours valuable advise!!!

Please HELP!!! PLEASE!!!! PLEASE!!!!

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

first of all hi! Second of all there is nothing wrong with being a waiter... im one in my summer holidays here in cyprus and in my last year at uni...

You need to sit down and research what you want to do with your life? What is making you choose IT? If it the money then i think you need to have a rethink cause yes there is some money but not straight away if you do it right you can make it. If you have a passion for it and you think you can make it then consider which part of IT you want dive into thats your next question.

Money wise now - you say you are a foreigner - which country? EU? Have you considered getting your degree through something like open university? you could be cheaper!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hi and welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:D

I decided to retrain for a career in IT when I was 31, so no you are not too old.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I was 28 when I got my first IT job, so you're not too old. I know people in their 50s and 60s who have started in IT.

You can certainly go back to school, or you can take a training course. That said, you don't need a degree to get into IT, nor do you need to take expensive training courses. You can learn everything you need through self-study, if you are motivated enough to do so.

Getting a Cisco certification isn't a good plan if you don't have any IT experience. Cisco certifications are designed for people who administer Cisco devices in a real-world network environment. And network administration isn't something that one typically starts with in IT.

Instead, I would recommend pursuing entry-level certifications, such as the A+, Network+, and MCDST. Certifications won't guarantee you a job... but they'll certainly make you look more attractive than your competition to potential employers. For many entry-level jobs, certifications are not required, but they are often desired.

I wish you the best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. sEE2046

sEE2046 New Member

where do u think i should start? i am actually interested in web design/development and planning to take a degreee course at middlesex university , but I heard that it is very hard to get a job these days as there are too many of them, or do you think i could take some MS Certificate course??? please help...

8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

sEE2046's Quote... meet BosonMichael's Quote...

*sigh*

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA