Hello friends,can I ask for some advice please as I'm all new to this?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by melly, Jan 6, 2011.

1. melly

melly New Member

Hi. I've decided to start the CompTIA A+ course on-line and have a few questions. I was wondering if most of you guys studied on-line and if so through an organization or did you get the books or kits on your own and self studied then went to a testing centre for the exam. Although through an organization you get tutor support,is it 'really' worth the prices I've been quoted. It seems a lot of money. I know these people work on commission so wondering what the right price would be about. I spoke to 'homelearning' who have quoted £1495 which includes everyhing I need and the exams and tutor support. This seems a lot to me personally! Please can you let me know how you guys studied and if through an organization who with please and the sort of prices they were asking. Do I also need to resit the exam every 3 years also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thank-you for your input. :D

2. welshwaynejack

welshwaynejack Bit Poster

Hey there, there is a nice guide on self study on this forum found here http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread11894.html

I think in the article it should only cost around £410 if you self study which, includes the exam

Yeah you will need to get recerted every 3 years unless you gain certification within a higher level eg network +

Hope that helps !

Certifications: Bsc Computer and Information Systems
    WIP: Msc Computer Forensics
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You will find most people on here self studied. Self study is getting the books yourself, booking the exams yourself and passing the exams yourself.

The cost you have been quoted for the A+ is a rip off you can self study the A+ and pay for the exams for less than £300

Why not try self study first and see how you get on.

The books you will need are: compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 7th edition by Mike Meyers, PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles and the A+ passport book.

You book the exams through pearsonvue or prometric and you do this on their websites, you will find your nearest test center on their sites.

You can buy discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com and you use the voucher code on the pearsonvue website to pay for your exams instead of your credit card.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. melly

melly New Member

Thank-you very much guys,this was extrememly helpful! :D

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It all comes down to the individual really.
    It is possible to gain most certifications through self study, and it is also possible to gain them by attending some kind of course (full-time, part-time, residential, distance learning etc).

For some basic certs where no fancy kit is required, home learning is fine if you are the sort of person with the discipline and basic level of ability to see it through. Some people are, some aren't. If you aren't, you just end up staring at a pile of books all week and end up going nowhere.

Training providers vary hugely in terms of cost and quality. Despite what you may think you are often better off responding to a grotty b/w ad in the back of your local paper placed by a guy that does the training in his shed than you are picking up a glossy brochure or seeing an ad on TV.

Whatever, self study works out as worth a try in the first instance. It costs you the price of a book and you get a feel for the whole thing. If it doesn't click, you can look at other resources at a later date.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

I'm also studying for my A+, but I am self-studying for it. I'm finding it very challenging but I'm hoping to take it by end of Feb hopefully (was hoping by end of Dec so would be certified for life), But due to work commitments. I've been doing it for about the last 7 months now on and off but it depends on the person. Some can do it in a month others longer.

The study guide that I am using is link.

But there are others mentioned as above.

Also check out http://www.professormessor.com, he has on-line videos which are explained in great detail.

Once you have passed the A+, most people move onto the N+ then MCDST but this cert will be expired at the end of June 2011.

Regards

Rob

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Hi

I personally found self study a great way to do it but it does require a degree of discipline.

It's easy to think "ill study tomorrow" but on the other hand, it cost me a grand total of £20+ exams to pass

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  8. melly

melly New Member

Yes,discipline is the thing really but I'm a 24/7 carer and lucky enough to have loads of time on the computer with this client as I'm on stand by most of the time. I'll just have to make sure I stop getting distracted by google etc as you do!
    Rob...thanks,that's a great link thanx.
    I will get these books anyway and have a look to see if it is 'above' me a bit. There's a computer technician in the local shop who I know gives private lessons when I'm stuck...this'll still work out a lot cheaper than what these organizations are asking for when I work out all the costs of the material. With the student fees hiking massively in the UK I reckon these on-line organizations are having a field day as they have more business due to people not being able to afford to study and hence hike their prices up. If there's anything else besides the books,CD's,on-line links I will need please be kind enough to let me know. Thanks guys,you've been really helpful here.:biggrin

9. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Thought it worth mentioning, the recomended book for the a+ is often the 'all in one mike meyers' book. It also comes with a cd with the book in pdf that could be great it you have a decent amount of time to read while at a pc.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Practice exams are a great way of gauging how ready you are for exams. Unfortunately good ones are not free.

The only free site I know which is half decent is www.proprofs.com most other free sites are illegal braindumps and if you value your certifications and career you will stay away. You can check wether a site is legit by visiting www.certguard.com and putting the url of the website in the braindump searcg box.

Paid for good pratice exams you can get from www.boson.com www.transcender.com and www.preplogic.com

From having exdperience of the above paid for exams boson kicks the other exam providers into touch it is by far the best you will get for the A+

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?