Hello Fellow IT People!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by IT_Guy, Sep 9, 2008.

1. IT_Guy

IT_Guy New Member

Hello to all :biggrin

I came across CF via google search as I was doing some general search on IT - Very glad I came across this as it has some excellent information, tips and advice from a range of people in the IT Industry!

A bit about me:

The road to IT started with me taking GNVQ ICT Advanced (AVCE) for my a-level and achieving a B and C grade. I then went on to University and studied Business Information Technology (BIT) and graduted this year. I will be taking the JBC Course starting next month to get that all important knowledge and experience to get me into a decent job. I have no IT experience just qualifications and few skills picked up here and there so that is why I went for the course at JBC. I preferably would like to start off in Technical Support -Maybe helpdesk support/entry level - 1st line support and work my way up!?
    I have been reading about all these certs which are recognised in the IT Industry - Can anyone advise me what step to take after the course/in near future?

Any EX-JBC people or anyone been in my situation before? :rolleyes:

All advice, tips welcome!!

Thanking you all in advance!

Certifications: BA (Hons) Degree & C&G Diploma Level 2&3
    WIP: Maybe A+, N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

HI Welcome :)

You could look at entry level certs designed for people looking for their first jobs in helpdesk roles. MOst people do compTIA A+, N+ and the MCDST. Certs after these are for people with relevant experience in related job fields. As for a course you don't need to do a course you can self study that means getting the books required practicing the concepts and then taking the exams.

Most of these training companies charge you a lot of money and all you get in return is some books, you may aswell get the books yourself and if you get stuck or need advice then there is this place and it's free.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Hi & Welcome to CF :D

Good advice from GBL, just to confirm, A+, N+ then MCDST, start applying for 'entry level'/1st line support/helpdesk tech/analyst jobs now whilst self-studying the above.

And as said above, if you get stuck or have any questions, you're in the right place :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

I took the JBC course as well, the thing is it was paid by the Military on my way out so I didnt mind doing it.
    How much "Skill" have you got exactly??
    Im not saying the course is bad, its intense and does cover a wide range of topics some of which have been helpfull to me...

BUT.. have you considered doing volunteer / charity work for local charaties to get some hands on experience the price you are paying for the course could get you a good few IT Certifications under your belt (At a guess you could probably get the A+, N+ & MCDST and still have enough money for a decent holiday abroad... for the price they are no doubt charging you).

The experience you will gain is pure LAB exercise experience which you can gain from the comfort of your own home by reading and completing LAB exercises from various books (The street smart A+ book by James Pyles http://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-Technician-Street-Smarts-CompTIA/dp/0470084588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220947547&sr=8-1 Is a great example of what I am talking about)

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me :)

Oh and Welcome to CF

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. IT_Guy

IT_Guy New Member

Thanks for all your replies..

The course is also sponsored for me so I wont be paying anything, so I have nothing to lose right? After all, The experience in labs and workshops will do me a lot good and give me experience and skills which I dont have currently in NETWORKING etc.

Where could I start off with A+? Should I get a years experience in a company first or it doesnt matter? Study myself at home and then take the exam? Who with and what are the costs?

Certifications: BA (Hons) Degree & C&G Diploma Level 2&3
    WIP: Maybe A+, N+
  10. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

If your not paying then yeah you have nothing to loose, the Labs run are good and the CV writing days are definatly a good thing!

As for details on self study and prices look here for some good info:
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread11894.html

:)

The A+ can be studied with none - little experience so it may be worth studying while trying to get a job / experience

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

The decision is up to you, but you don't need a training course for any certification - I have yet to take a training course, so I'm living proof.

No, you don't need experience first. Just get a book or two (I recommend the A+ All-in-One Sixth Edition by Meyers and, for lab exercises, PC Technician Street Smarts by Pyles) and, if you've got it, some PC equipment to practice on and you're good to go.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685