Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Shopps, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Shopps

Shopps New Member

New user here just saying hello:)

I'm currently serving with the Armed Forces as an aircraft engineer, and after 22 years’ service it's soon time to leave and I’m looking to start a career in I.T.

Part of the leaving the Armed Forces process (called resettlement) is undertaking training courses to prepare yourself for civilian life, and as I’ve always had a passion for all things technical and it seems that everyone’s job involves more and more interaction with computer, it makes sense to look down this road.

The first of my resettlement courses I am undertaking is a 4 week Comptia A+ course in Jan next year. If successful, then the same training facility offers another 4 week course comprising Comptia Network+, Security+ and a forensics qualification I would be looking at in around June next year.

I have been reading the 'Comptia A+ certification all-in-one for dummies' book, is this a good book to start with?

Also, how much weight would these qualifications carry when I do leave the Armed Forces and start looking for a job, and is this a good way into the I.T. sector?

Hi again, and thanks

WIP: Comptia A+
  2. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF! You might want to rethink your schedule a bit. A lot of people on this forum strongly believe in self-study. It can work very well. Also, after Dec. 31, 2010, the A+, S+, and N+ will require 3 year renewals. There will be no "life time" cert! So, if possibly you might consider trying to get one under you belt this year. I certainly have! :biggrin

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No - avoid this book like the plague. I once had a co-worker who used it and failed the exam so badly, she put off retaking it... FOR TWO YEARS! And she wouldn't have retaken it at all had I not pointed her in the direction of some good study tools. I would recommend you use the A+ All-in-One Study Guide Seventh Edition by Meyers. If you want some hands-on labs, I'd recommend PC Technician Street Smarts Second Edition by Pyles.

Certifications usually aren't required for entry-level jobs (and no certification will guarantee you an IT job), but they can certainly make you look more attractive to employers.

Other worthwhile entry-level certifications to consider are Network+ and the MCDST (retiring on March 31, 2011 - afterwards, you would need to pursue the MCTS: Vista or MCTS: Windows 7 tracks).

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!