Hello everyone...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by chipshill, Mar 9, 2008.

1. chipshill

chipshill New Member

Hi everyone, new member here, stumbled upon a thread I was interested in and thought I would register...

I am 23 and 4 years ago, I started my CCNA via Netacad, I finished the first semester and then got Cancer, from which I have just recently been given the all clear. So, I have been trying to get a job in IT for the last 6 months, but as soon as an employer sees that I have not worked for 3 years, they dismiss me.

I have been thinking about doing my CCNA again, which is how I found the commsupport thread... It sounds really good on the website, but as soon as I heard '6 days', I had doubts, I pick up these things quickly but am still skeptical. I also passed the IT Essentials Instructor course in a week (same time I was doing CCNA).

Do you have any tips on how to get into the field? I am willing to start at the bottom and don't expect to start on £30k. I want a job where I can learn the ropes of networking and study for my CCNA in my own time to help future prospects.

Many Thanks,

Chris

p.s. I have just sent this to someone via a personal message but thought it would be a good intro into who I am.

2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi chipshill

Welcome to certforums!

Good move in joining, you will find plenty of good advice here. :biggrin

Best of luck

Punkboy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. Starke

Starke Nibble Poster

It's good to hear you are better now, it will only make you a stronger person. Do you have any other certifications currently? It's tough breaking into the industry. CCNA is not your typical entry level certification and may hinder your job search. I would go for A+, Network+ and maybe MCDST or the new MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician. After that I would hunt for a help desk support or entry level technican job. It's going to be difficult getting into more networking work with limited to no experiece.

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging/Security, Net+, Security+
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

You'll find plenty of good advice here.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. chipshill

chipshill New Member

Thanks for the replies guys,

Starke, apart from the IT Essentials, I've got an A level in IT and Advanced Business. I have some experience with small networks as I set one up for my Dad's company, but as it's family, I cannot put it in my CV... (when I say small, I mean it, no server just a few computers connected as a lan, sharing hard drives/printers etc)

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I agree with Starke's advice... the CCNA isn't for someone trying to break into IT... it's designed for people who are already in IT who are starting to work with Cisco gear in a production environment.

To get an entry-level IT job, you should pursue entry-level certifications, such as the A+, Network+, and the MCDST.

Best of luck to you! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

chipshill,

Firstly, I had a relative pass away from cancer so I can empathise with your success in overcoming your cancer problem. Networkingly speaking, it is good to be hearing a "hello packet" from you. :) So here's my "hello packet" back at ya. :)

You can go to http://cisco.netacad.net and review the updated curriculum for CCNA Semester 1. They now come under the names of either "CCNA Explorations" or "CCNA Discovery." CCNA Explorations is organized similarly to the previous generations of the Cisco Networking Academy program. CCNA Discovery is organized more along the lines of a business organization size: 1) Networking for Home and Small Businesses 2) Working at a Small-to-Medium Business or ISP 3) Introducing Routing and Switching in the Enterprise and 4) Designing and Supporting Computer Networks.

Another benefit of having being a Cisco Networking Academy student is that you can download and play around with Cisco Packet Tracer. Cisco Packet Tracer is a network simulation application where you can build a CCNA level network and watch it work or not work. You can download Packet Tracer once you login to the Cisco Networking Academy website. I hope this helps you to get back up to speed.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi Chips, and welcome!

Whereabouts are you based? - have there been many job vacancies in your area so far?

I'm so sorry to hear about the bad luck you've been having with jobhunting so far, although it's always slow around the end of the year and the start of the new year; the financial year ends at the end of this month, so things should pick up a lot after that.

Definitely start with the A+ and N+ - not only will they help you a lot, but they'll help focus you while jobhunting, and be very good to talk about in interviews.

Lots of luck! :D

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. chipshill

chipshill New Member

Thanks you everyone for your support and interest! I am from Bootle in Liverpool, as I said, I am willing to start as a low level 1st line help desk support, gain my certs while i work, and progress up the ladder relatively quickly from there, but I am still having a real tough time breaking into ANY company...

I am going to take my A+ at the end of this month as I just found out, the IT Essentials I said I am a qualified instructor in, is the first part of it anyway, I just need 220-602 now, and from what I've seen it should be a breeze, I just hope there is no time limit on gaining the second part of it before you have to do it all again haha

p.s. r.h.lee, thanks for your 'hello packet' hehe

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum…
    You mentioned you haven’t worked in over 3-years. What did you do prior to that? It sounds like you had the CCNA. You might just need a refresher for what you’ve forgotten, and pick up the new material.

However, since you need to start again, I’d strongly suggest taking the advice already listed and start with entry certs like the A+ and N+ and build experience from there.

You’re stronger to have gone through what you did. Good luck with the future…

13. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome.
    As others have suggested try doing A+ & N+ first then look may be then at CCNA.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  14. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

All the best with the 602!

15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+