Hello everyone.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Slimzee, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Slimzee

Slimzee Bit Poster

Just want to say Hi to the members of this forum.

I am presently learning about Cisco and am starting my Open University Cisco course in November, and hope to take my CCNA in April/May next year.

I did a HND in Software Engineering at University but I have not worked in IT since i finished uni, so im looking to get a career in IT where I feel I belong.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA, Windows 2008, Windows 7
    WIP: build my windows skills
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Unfortunately, the CCNA is not likely to help you get an entry-level IT job. Have you considered getting the A+?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Slimzee

Slimzee Bit Poster

The A+ seems to be geared towards people with no hardware knowledge seems pretty basic stuff.

Im basically looking to get qualifications which will help me to get into Network Engineer positions. Before University I did a BTEC in Computing Studies at College.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA, Windows 2008, Windows 7
    WIP: build my windows skills
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't have any IT experience, then you're going to have to start with "pretty basic stuff" just to get your foot in the door. Network Engineers are IT folks with years of real-world experience. It's great to move towards that... but it's not realistic to expect to step into doing that on Day 1 (or even Year 2, for that matter).

Certifications alone won't do it... degrees alone won't do it... only experience will get you there. Certifications and degrees only help separate you from candidates with equivalent experience levels.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009