Hello everybody

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by hubby, Feb 19, 2006.

1. hubby

hubby Banned

Hi everyone

My name's Lee, I'm 24 and am currently working as a nursing assistant. I've now decided nursing is not for me, and the only other thing i'm reasonably good at is computers.

I've just started A+ with ICS, please someone tell me it's not as hard as it looks :eek:

I'm pretty good with software issues but know almost nothing about hardware.

I look forward to (hopefully) picking up a few pointers here.

One final thing, ICS told me when I started the course that it will take approx 80 hours to complete the course. Is this realistic?

Lee

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi there Lee, Welcome to CF! :biggrin

No Lee, its harder. A lot harder. Depending on the Certifications that you are going for it could take you many many years to get to the level needed to pass the exams.

If you are only going for the A+, then depending on your existing skills the estimation of 80 hours may well be realistic, but I'd say that it's 80 hours revising for the exam(s), not actually learning the material.

Take a look around our forums, and feel free to ask anything if you get stuck!

Good Luck in your studies.

8)

3. hubby

hubby Banned

:eek:

It's mostly learning, not revising. I think i'll be ok with the OS part, but the hardware i'm learning from scratch. I was aiming for 6 months, what do you think?

WIP: A+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome to CF, hubby - check the A+ board for more info on study practices, materials and general solid advice. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hi Hubbs,

To be honest i think 6 months is adequate time for A+ if you have some experience in PCs. If you've been messing with OS's and are confident on that side then use your time concentrating on the hardware as this can get very technical in this exam, (bus speeds, memory, processors architect etc etc). I did mine in 30 weeks on a College course but could've learnt it a bit quicker as i had some experience in Hardware maintenance.. its just thats how long it takes as a college course.
    Also make sure you get a book like the Meyers, or Sybex ones on the subject, thier invaluable for A+. and when you think youre good enough for the exam try out an exam cram practice test, this will help you judge if your gonna pass or not. (im doing the same thing for the Network+ thru Learndirect, using thier material then exam cram tests to see if i do know it before i book the exam).

All in all try your best and good luck on your course! :D

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome. I think that the time scale and how difficult people find the A+ is personal. It took me a year to become A+ certified but i was learning from scratch and wanted to make sure i passed when taking the exams.
    Read, practice and take loads of tests. I will be starting my Question of the day (in the A+ forum) again in the next few days.

Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+