Hello Everybody...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by SeanR, Jun 3, 2004.

1. SeanR

SeanR New Member

My name is Sean (doh!) and I`m new here (double doh!)

Now Ive got the blatantly obvious statements out of the way.....

Im here to hopefully pick up a few tips and tricks from you guys and gals while I`m trying to learn all I need to know about MS products, with the long term view of certification.

My background is mainly in IBM\Lotus products (so feel free to ask any questions about domino.... :wink: )

I just started a new job a couple of weeks ago (after being a contractor then an unemployed contractor :cry: ) and I was shown this site by a guy I work with who has an account here.

Hi Nelix :P

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You were referred by Nelix??? :eek: Hey, Gang! We're gonna have to put Sean on "double secret probation". :lol: Just kidding, Sean. If you're a friend of Derek's you can probably take a joke. Seriously, welcome to certforums. We're a friendly bunch but a bit crazy at times. Please feel free to have the run of the joint and ask whatever questions may pop up. I do a QOTD on Windows Server 2003 Active directory (70-294) so take a crack at it if you'd like to learn more. Glad to see Derek's recruiting new troops. We look forward to your contributions to the forum. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. SeanR

SeanR New Member

Not Double secret probation !!1 :eek:

Thanks for the welcome - I`ve got a lot to learn so I guess I`d better get started :D

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Unless you've seen a movie called "Animal House", it won't make a lot of sense. :wink:

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Sean welcome to the boards. :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. SeanR

SeanR New Member

Every Halloween the trees are filled with underwear; every spring the toilets explode

Its a classic for sure :)

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Sean - welcome to CertForums from me me too :D

Any friend of Nelix is, well, to be honest, probably a bit suspect to begin with ... :wink: :lol:

Only kidding - glad to see another smiling face - have fun while you get you Certs, and all the very best of luck with your training. What did you have in mind ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Hi Sean :) Has anyone ever told you that you have a remarkable resemblance to Ronnie Barker :wink: :D Have fun

9. SeanR

SeanR New Member

LOL You should see the other guys where we work ! :oops:

Well - thats the million dollar question.

My background is coding first (many years ago basic\cobol\pascal\c\xbase\) then I went into it administration back in the day when netware 3.11 was the best thing since sliced bread. I also got fairly familiar with NT 3.51 at that time.

I then "branched out" and cross trained (cls, clp then 2x clp \ pclp) in Lotus Notes (application development and administration)

I was lucky or unlucky enough to then go work for a small number of resellers where I was working in a variety of roles around that product (also spending serious time with as/400)

Then came a period as a freelance contractor - which was extremely good fun and very educational in a number of ways. But the bubble burst and I found myself unemployed.

The scary thing was how hard its been to find work - seemingly because I cant honestly say that Ive managed any MS infrastructure for so long that most of my old NT knowledge is way way out of date.

So my motivation in getting MS certs is primarily to make sure that if I find myself unemployed again at least I can honestly say that I can handle the core parts of the MS networking world - server and client admin I would suppose should be my main focus.

I`m not really interested in picking up any real exchange server knowledge (but then a true blue notes guy would say that :P), but other than that every other MS product is fair game for my attention.

The confusing part for a relative MS noob such as myself is working out what path to take, what areas are most relevant.

I`m laughing in terms of support and motivation though - I`ve always been a geek and still enjoy learning and working in IT more than any other possible career plus I`m in the job (expected to do "light" support on a mid size network) and then I have the help and assistance of the team I work with and of course people like yourself who are always so friendly.

Whooaa theres my entire life story for such a short question. Imagine what would happen if you asked me a long question !! :eek:

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

:?:
    ???

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

@ Trip: This is Ronnie Barker

@ Sean - thanks for the details, Sean - interesting stuff. I guess you'll be answering more questions than you ask, then ? :eek: :wink:

12. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Hello :!:

Oh, more specifically hello sean.But that's not to leave out everyone else.So while I'm here, hello everyone else.

Lol @ Trip, not your fault of course, but it seems odd when someone from another country asks who someone so famous is, because we never really hear anyone ask who Rnnie Barker is.

Reminds me of when sgdought asked me what an ice lolly was, LOLZ :!:

13. SeanR

SeanR New Member

:eek: /walks slowly away :P

Id be happy to answer any notes\domino questions but I reckon there might not be too many here :D

Still you never know, someone may have to interoperate with it so the offer is genuine :)

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I looked at his bio and there wasn't a thing familiar about it. Only just a bit of British TV and movies makes it over here so I have no doubt that there's a whole world of entertainment I'm unaware of in the U.K.

I've forgotten the term now, but it reminds me of the time I asked about whatever you all call school crossing guards. I'm wracking my brain but can't recall the term at all. :oops:

15. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Hey, at work when I turn the computer on a script loads, I seethe word domino.

I wondered today, I wonder if this is a game on the comp, doh me lol.

We use lotus notes.

I'm not the computer guy though, just a humble worker.Doing that while I plan my world domination after work hours :twisted:

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Ah ha, the Lollipop Lady ? Hey Trip, never mind your young daughter - it's YOU that needs to travel over here - we'd broaden your horizons (or your hips, at least) :)

EDIT: Sorry, post hijack :oops: :offtopic

17. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums Sean, any friend of Derek's is a friend of ours. Hope to see more of you soon.

Nice avatar, I still love to watch the repeats of Porridge and Open All Hours.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...