Hello Beautiful People!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Censorious, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Censorious

Censorious Bit Poster

Hello my fellow comrades! Finally I registered on this awesome forum. To start with, I would like to say that most of my life I wanted to become an "IT man" and my journey begins now!. :) For the past 2 years I've been trying to convince myself to study but never really got the feel. My plan is to start with compTIA a+ , and move to Microsoft windows 7 and windows server certifications. Currently working as a chef in London. Sorry for any English grammar mistakes :oops:

dmarsh likes this.
  2. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Welcome to CF good luck with your journey I am sure you'll enjoy every minute of it.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

That's quite an introduction. Clearly not directed at me though, as I am ugly as f*** :D

Hope you enjoy your journey with us!

4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums :) Its nice to see you here.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Jammo1987

Jammo1987 Nibble Poster

Welcome to CertForums!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCTS (70-515), MCTS (70-516)
    WIP: MCTS (70-513)
  8. Censorious

Censorious Bit Poster

How ironic, looking through my old forum posts. Still not certified, still a chef, but what a hell I'l try again! What do you guys think is it possible to get ready for A+ in a week?

Cheers

9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I wouldnt recommend going for the A+ with only one week of studying tbh.. If its taken you 3 years are you sure IT is defo for you? Not trying to sound harsh but you really do need to be commited, IT is not one of those casual industries.. Couldnt imagine working in IT without being committed or interested.. Alot of the time I have to refresh my skills at home.

10. Censorious

Censorious Bit Poster

Dear Juelz, never intended to be under committed, had limited time to prepare.

A lot have changed in the past 6 months, the thing is that a good friend of mine offered me a job in IT industry in Cyprus, I figured to get a head start with Comptia A+ and had only 2 weeks before my flight. After trying to solve couple of online tests - instantly knew that getting the certificate before the flight was nearly impossible.

After getting some experience in IT, doing simple tasks and assisting users, figured to start studying for the dreaded Comptia a+. But the issue I am facing is not the lack of material or finding the time, but loosing interest in the material :(

11. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

If you're not interested in the material then its probably not the right fit for you. Find something you're passionate about.

12. Censorious

Censorious Bit Poster

You are missing a point, I like working in IT, its the studying part I'm having troubles in. Anyways, will try harder. just wanted to know if anyone had troubles focusing while getting ready for the exam.

13. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

It depends how much you want something. If you really want something you'll find a way. My motivation levels dip some days and peak other days. Some topics are more interesting than others, but they're all important. Set aside time where you study in a day. Eliminate distractions and focus on it. You'll do it if you want it enough and you won't if you don't. It's down to you to make it happen. I don't think anything anyone here can make you more or less motivated.

14. Censorious

Censorious Bit Poster

I respect your opinion, but every person has their own way of motivation, maybe mine are posting random thoughts on a Cert forum. Exam is booked and I'l do my best to get ready for it. Will post results as I go, maybe someone will find reading through my journey helpful.

15. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Ignore this, read thread wrong

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  16. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Depends on the person, It would probably take me about a month to prepare and I know the material and have 20 years in the industry.
    Exams aren't for everyone, neither are certifications, I no longer take them.

What I would say is, what IT or computer things have you been doing for the last 3 years? Could be building a web site, programming, building a robot, video editing, but if you aren't doing something that indicates real interest and advances your knowledge its a red flag.

Its like me saying I want to be a Michelin chef and then telling you I eat McDonalds every night.

17. Censorious

Censorious Bit Poster

Hello Guys!

I have managed to pass the exam today from the first try. Although during the year I had to reschedule the exam maybe 4-5 times due to starting and the burning out on the studies.

The key for me was to find the right study method (which I found on this forums, Thank you very much). Mnemosyne flash card software helped a lot, I noticed that by memorizing all the boring stuff (socket pin numbers etc.) first, I had much more energy left for the important stuff (that needs understanding rather than plain memorization). So I made custom cards for each Paragraph of Professor Messer's Course Notes .

Course notes and Practice questions I found for free on a random youtube video in PDF, but ordered a hard cover just to have it for future revisions.

Study material used:
    1. Professor Messer's Youtube Videos
    2. Professor Messer's Course notes
    3. Professor Messer's Practice question
    4. Exam Compass
    5. Some Youtube Videos

Will try to use the same method with Comptia 902

Jaron78, Dazzo and dmarsh like this.
  18. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Welldone ! :thumbleft

19. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congrats

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  20. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Congrats! Hopefully your new study method brings more success!

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +