hello, anyone got anything positive about computeach?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by SN0WMAN, Feb 21, 2006.

1. SN0WMAN

SN0WMAN Bit Poster

Hi to all!!

Im glad i found this, ive just had the sales pitch from computeach in the last week and am now waiting for the call about course acceptance.

There seems to be a lot of complaints about them but a lot aren't justified.

Are people doing the 10 hrs a week study time the course ask for

The exams are designed for abstract thought and are meant to be tough so you wont find the answers in any book.

And a few questions.....

Has anyone out there actually got a good job through them?

Is their place in Dudley easy to get to?

Are there any hidden charges the sale pitch dont mention?

Im sure ive got more questions but any help with this would be helpfull.

Cheers.

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+ then maybe mcp + msce
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Whilst I personaly have not had any dealings with Computeach I know that there are those hear that have.

I'm sure that they will be along shortly to offer advice.

8)

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day snowman :D

Not from here mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is that what the Computeach salesman said? :p

Seriously though, always read the small print and make sure you are 100% committed before handing over your hard earned cash to a training provider.

As for getting to Dudly, try multimap.com 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings snowman :biggrin

I'm a student with Computeach.
    As training providers go,they are ok.I have no gripes with them.

As for getting a job through them,for me personally the answer is no,but then i was never given any promise of a job.Its as much down to you to look for work as it is for their career department to help you.

Is Dudley easy to get to??

LOL head in the general direction of Birmingham and you should be fine :p .

I have enjoyed my time spent in Dudley,the classroom learning is very good,and the tutors are spot on.

Are there any hidden charges??

Depends on how nice the sales guy was. :twisted:
    Hopefully he was honest with you.

Anymore questions feel free to ask,or PM me if you wish.

One more thing i would like to add is why do you feel the need to go through a training provider?

i have no gripes with the training provider,but if i had the choice again i would pick self study every time.

Why pay a company £££,when mainly what you will be doing anyway is studying on your own from home.
    I know its nice to have the comforting thought of a tutor there for you if you are stuck,and the hands on in a classroom enviroment,but you can get the very same from a home lab,and all the help you need on this very forum :biggrin

Best of luck.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. SN0WMAN

SN0WMAN Bit Poster

Much appreciated those that replyed so quickly, its given me something to think about. Might try and do the A+ on my own and see how i go from there.

Cheers again.

7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Just what timeframe, at 10 hours a week, is the training provider telling you it will take to accomplish your goals? What are your goals?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. SN0WMAN

SN0WMAN Bit Poster

I know this is a bit of a contradiction from the them, the sales guy said i would be fine with 10 hrs a week and the MSCE course says that it requires 1050 hours of work. Then after a while the guy said i'd be at it for 2 years. :ohmy :blink :ohmy

Made me think that one.

9. ffreeloader

I would say that if you put in only 10 hours a week at studying for an MCSE you'll be at it for much longer than two years, especially if you do not have previous system administration and/or significant computer administration experience.

10. SN0WMAN

SN0WMAN Bit Poster

The whole thing sounds a bit of a "sales" lie. Ive given up on the idea and gonnae try a few books (Meyers passport) and a simple A+ course, maybe with ICS to see how i get on.

Anyone got any info on ICS trainning?

I feel if i dont have a structure to the course or a bit of money involved i'd never get the course done. If i pay something it'll give me a bit of an incentive to acheive it.

Thanks again everyone for the help in making up my mind.

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your incentive to pass the exam should be to get a nice new cert to put on your C.V and to gain some extra knowledge for your chosen IT path.

Best of luck with the A+ studies, it’s a good first cert to study for. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. ffreeloader

I tend to agree completely with this. If the reward of a cert, increased knowledge, and a possible job--positive motivators--isn't enough of a reward to keep a person's interest then I have to wonder about the overall motivation to get into IT.

Myself, I respond much better to a dream I want to fulfill than to someone hitting me with a stick.

13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

but how long is the duration of the course???

My friend did a course with CompuTeach, and he said there are not that good, majority was from home 80:20.

14. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  15. hubby

hubby Banned

There is no structure to the A+ course with ICS. I'm working on it at the moment. There is no tutor support and no assignments. You pay about £600 for some books and cd-roms. That's it, teach yourself. Then you apply for the exams, which are not included in the price. I have 2 copies of the books and disks, as they sent me the course material twice. If you want I can sell you one set (obviously for much less than ICS will charge you). If you're interested my email address is:

[email protected]

Or you can PM me via this forum. Regards, Lee

WIP: A+
  16. SN0WMAN

SN0WMAN Bit Poster

:cheers Thanks for the offer hubby, im just gonna work my way through the couple of books i bought. Maybe wait for the update and new books before sitting any exams.

Never new theses books were so good, and with a little help from this fantastic site should be ready to sit exams later in the year and saved myself a bloody fortune!!!!

Thanks again everyone for your great advice.

:D :D :D :cheers :clap

17. rsmithone

rsmithone Bit Poster

i am a student at compuscam and its a big fat no from me they are no help at all they are liars there contract is crap there courses are that over priced its unreal how they get away with it bet he didnt tell you that you get 7 days to cancel then not send you the contract out that they tell you is arriving in the post 3 weeks later it did but they failed to let me no 3 days later after i enrolled they sent a sneaky email attachment that you dont even realise its there and then as for waiting to try the course to see if it was for me 2 months my crap 2 books took to get to me so that was me paying 280 for waiting to learn they are a joke and they are saying if i quit i have to pay the rest of the 1600 pound off each month the are a bunch of hook you in then fob you off idiots for your sake please dont join.

WIP: comptia a+
  18. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Chill man, 4 threads you've set off on a rant in, your grievances are probably legit (after all this wouldn't be the first time a training providers turned out to be full of crap) but spreading your anger across this forum doesn't do much for your case.

one measured, reasonable post > 4 angry ranting ones

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  19. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

*cough* necropost. Check the date.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present