Hello and a question or two!

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by pazz5, Dec 27, 2007.

1. pazz5

pazz5 New Member

I dont think some of you guys are seeing what Im trying to say.

As I've mentioned before, I am not expecting an easy ride when the cert is completed. I dont expect any potential employer to blow their load when he/she see's the word CIW.

I do however believe that having a CIW cert will stand me in better stead then someone who doesn't; but I will still be behind the person who has the practical working experience.

On my CV I am not going to just state *Have the CIW Cert* I will be going in depth on some of the modules of study.

I was always going to apply for entry level jobs, both now and when the cert is complete. I dont expect to be sitting in Bill Gates' chair this time next year.

I was just really after advice from people who are studying for the cert/have finished the cert/are thinking of doing the cert. I wanted to know if the cert "helped" to open up any doors etc etc.

As I've mentioned, in hindsight I still would have chosen to do this course, I am paying my hard earned money on it so I know i'm not going to take it lightly and will study hard.

The reason I offered the question of helpdesk is I have some experience in this field and although it's at the other end of the spectrum to developing jobs, it is still in the same sector/industry. Many employers look at previous jobs and if I have come from, say, a catering or retail background I feel this would further hinder my application as they may question my desire to join the "IT Crowd".

This is all purely down to what looks good on paper.

A University graduate, with a CIW certification coming from inside the IT industry

Vs

A University graduate, with no CIW certification coming from outside the IT industry.

Once again, thanks to the people who have given me advice so far, the course is going well!

Certifications: BSc Business Information Systems
    WIP: Master CIW Design manager
  2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Ooops - reading that, I realise I wasn't seeing the study for the certification.

I think from what you've seen on here is that the cert isn't very widely recognised, however you're learning some very useful skills, which in themselves, will be very beneficial on your CV. (I've already been told off on here for my aversion to Perl, which I may have to readdress tomorrow :eek:). When it's backed up with a portfolio.

I'm sorry for misreading your comment about helpdesk work, especially as it's been a fallback option of my own in the past - that was more to do with having worked with people in the past who assumed that helpdesk 'was a foot in the door' and I didn't want to see you going down the same route.

I've only been on here a few days, and although this is a very active forum, the majority of the members seem to be of the A+/N+/MCSE route rather than CIW (with the exception of PhoenixAngelique), which is why you're getting a lot of feedback from non-CIW people. No doubt you will get the feedback, but it will take a bit longer.

Ultimately, though - certifications are nice, but it's the professional experience which counts in the end. And both recruitment agents and employers generally want to see exactly in which job on your CV you got the relevant experience.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. Coma toast

Coma toast Bit Poster

Excuse my ignorance, but why can't a Help desk (or similar) job be considered a "foot in the door"?

WIP: A+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Because help desk jobs have absolutely nothing to do with Web design. Certainly they can be used to get your foot in the door to pursue an IT admin job as a tech. But companies who hire Web designers want people who know how to design Web sites. If you want to be a Web designer, start building sites.... for yourself, for your friends, for your church... even make up a fictitious company and design a site that shows off your skillset. If you've got the knack for it, it'll show, and a company will give you a chance.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My response here has already been made in this thread: http://certforums.com/forums/thread22793.html

Here's the quote:
    Learn and skills and demonstrate that you can use the skills. Since the CIW doesn't seem to be very well known, I suspect potential employers will respond better to what you have done and can do rather than what certs in web design you possess. JMHO.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Even though i agree with what a lot of people on here are saying about the CIW certs (bosonmichael), i do have some good news??????????

About four weeks ago, i sent my CV to an agency who within a few days phoned me up and ask what experience i've got in the web design industry and what my intentions are??

I said i had sod all experience and what do you mean "whats my intentions". They then asked me if i was going to take the e-commerce exam to get my master designer cert.

I then asked why and they said that they have spoken to two potential employers who are looking for a junior designer with the CIW Master Designer certification. And we parted on agreeing that if i do pass the e-commerce exam that i should contact them and go from there?
    I know this isn't exactly the most exciting story that you will ever read but it shows that perhaps having these certs DO and CAN help. I am sure if i had that bloody cert when they phoned then i might be sitting in a nice little junior designer position by now????????????
    :cry:

Certifications: CIW Professional
  7. BosonMichael

Oh, most certainly, certifications CAN make the difference between getting a job offer and not getting one. I only said what I did because Web design (and programming as well) is different from IT administration/support in that a Web designer (or programmer) can bring in a portfolio of code; that option just isn't available to a "plain-old tech". Thus, certifications are much MORE important to a tech than a Web designer.

If you can pick up the CIW Master Designer cert, and you think it's worth the money, by all means, do so. Just don't expect Web design companies to throw open the doors for you because of it. As you've seen... it CAN happen, even without a code portfolio. But opportunities like those are rare.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Totally agree with you! I was a bit shocked at what i was hearing and i knew as soon as i put the phone down, i wasn't gonna get that chance again.
    But, you never know??

To be honest....I've had it with CIW. I started to learn E-commerce from dated books as thats all i could get hold of. And i soon realized that i wasn't learning enough. I'm still pleased with what i have achieved though and it certainly started the ball rolling on other things. And i am certainly enjoying helping others pass there exams.

Cheers all!

Certifications: CIW Professional
  9. BosonMichael

Any knowledge is good knowledge, as long as you're learning something. :)

In any case, it sounds like you've got yourself motivated to continue to learn other things. I wish you the best of luck! :)

10. Jasiano

Jasiano New Member

Hi there.. im in a similar position to you though i have NO Degree am just simply working towards my CIW.
    i am currently on Section 3 part b so im not too far away from finishing. I must admit the course is boring at times though its what you make of it. At the moment i am unemployed though i have 3 side web design jobs, as im working towards building my portfolio and finishing my course. You cant rely on the course material alone i have taught myself XHTML, CSS, Flash, Photoshop and am currently learning ASP.net for one of my clients. MY advice would be to get the course done and get as strong a portfolio as possible, poeple in the industry have said to me employers care a lot more about the work you have done in the past thn they will about any qualification.

good luck with your course.

WIP: CIW Web Design Management
  11. tippett

tippett New Member

do you find the tutor support with the course ur doing good...i've been shopping around with these distance learning providers their sales people who visit u..think they're good....and try to baffle u...the price with skillstrain was a lot cheaper than computeach????? same course apparently...whats that all about

WIP: ciw web designer
  12. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Um, do some reading around on Computeach first - I didn't read the actual details, but I noticed quite a few complaints about them while looking up a different training centre a few days ago. A few people on here are with Skillstrain and seem to be happy with them, you can always ask them for more info.

13. Jasiano

Jasiano New Member

its ok i suppose, to be honest i dont use the tutors too much as most of the course material is pretty straight forward enough.. computeach charge more than skillstrain!?? woah i thought skillstrain were an absolute rip off, for a while i wished id gone to uni instead, however im in a better position now, completely debt free and will hopefully soon reach my goal.. :)

WIP: CIW Web Design Management
  14. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

When I began the course, it cost me £2,500. I look at it as an investment personally, I checked with computeach about 5 years ago and they were trying to charge me £3,500 back then! With interest in those courses increasing, I also know that for a fact prices have increased - I recommended a friend of mine who paid £3k to skillstrain for the same course.

I've never spoken to the tutor team to be honest, never found the need to - the material enclosed is straight forward (apart from maybe the Perl section - but that could just hae been me having a blonde moment (I can say that btw cos I AM blonde before anyone objects :tongue) the guys here namely BosonMichael helped me figure that bit out and it was simple really). I've seen some people on here say that the Lab files they enclose are pointless. To a degree I agree, but they helped immensley in the Perl section too.

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  15. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I've yet to work with someone who has any respect for computer science graduates (and easily one of the worst jobs I've had was with three of them :sick) - industry-specific vocational certification is worth a lot more, especially as it's tiered to your existing knowledge and experience.

(Says the archaeology graduate 8))

16. BosonMichael

I am glad to have been of service, PA. Or should I call you Phoenix? How 'bout Angel? :angel

17. PhoenixAngelique

Lol yeah I just realised I've neverdivulged my name huh?

I'm Tara-marie. Taa will do just fine, Phoenix too.

18. BosonMichael

Noted! :)

19. PhoenixAngelique

oops typo alert, Tara not Taa.

Cool, glad it's noted.

20. BosonMichael

What, I can't call you Taa? :twisted:

I think she's got a new nickname... :p