Hello and a little intro

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Japes, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

Hi all

Little intro, been working with puters since I was 17 and that was 18 years ago (ouch).... I was working mainly hardware (a little mainframe and a lot of midrange unix boxes to PCs) and have moved into a more "formal" banking IT role about 5 years back. I finished my MCSA/MCSE a little over a year back and am at present studying for the CCNA (exam booked on 25th March). I had planned to do the CCNA not long after the MCSE but my 8 month old daughter stopped me from studing at home for way to loooong :D (not complaining, wouldn't change things for anything). My boss wants me to work with/learn MS SQL and TSM (Tivolli Storage Manager) as we have a "holes" in the department.... no rest for the wicked :)
    Been with my present employer for 8 months (Yes I changed jobs within weeks of my daughters birth.... my choice as well) and it was a good move for me, much more depth to this playing field.... specially as I've already proved I am an assett to the department.

Wel thats a little background and I'm probably going to be hanging around here so I hope to get to know most of you well enought to call you friends.......

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hey Japes, welcome to the board. I'm sure everyone will make you feel right at home.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome Japes :D

Sounds like you'll fit right in around here. That's quite a track record - you'll also find that many of us, although computer-obsessed, have actually found the time to have families too, so you're not alone :sleeping

Enjoy your time at CertForums - we enjoy what we do :helpread

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to the Forums Japes, hope to see more of you soon. :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not to worry. That makes you only 35 years old. Just a pup to a fellow like me. Welcome to certforums. Hope you enjoy the place.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Hey Japes! Welcome to the site! Is Japes your real name - if so where does it come from?

If you available make sure you pop into the chat room on Thursday night - open from 7pm - it is sometimes constructive but mostly great fun!

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I can only echo what Jak said. Studying and family life go together like chalk and cheese. :argue :sleeping

Still you get there in the end

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

Thanks for all your kind words....

Rosie may pop in, but I play D&D or some othe RRPG on thursday nights..... Still a child at heart :)

Is Japes my real name, its certainly what I'm known as by my friends, work collegues and some of my family , my given name is Jean-Paul Lecrivain. and before anyone asks... yes its French, non parle vous francesis :wink: seriously my french is very weak.

Tripwire I might be only be a pup to someone as ancient :twisted: as your good self.... the ouch was more in realisation that in one form or another I've been working with puters over half of my life..... and it can only get worse :)

Jak and AJ my wife is very understanding (she has to be to have stayed with me this long).... but I also make sure I've given her and my daughter plently of time as well.... Then study after 8pm :) so I know where your coming from

I'm sort of lurking in the boards a t present getting a feel for the ways things are here. And so far I only see good things. I'll be putting my 2p worth in when I can add stuff...

9. statto123

statto123 Bit Poster

Hi Japes

Nice to meet you mate,

new on here my self

i joined yesterday.... Very helpful website

Take care

John 8)

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks for the kind words, Guys :thumbleft

Just keep visiting, posting and enjoying :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. statto123

statto123 Bit Poster

Hi tripwire 45

I see by your reply on this topic, that you are from the states.

I am looking to live and move to las vegas soon, My fiancee is American and lives in Las vegas. I am visiting usa viva las vegas at the end of April again this year, i totally loved it there last time.I am planning to get married may 2005 :D
    As you may tell i am english and in need of some nice weather.

What is it like living in the states?

any tips would be great

Cheers

John

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'll have to start a new thread for this. Look in "The Lounge/Off Topic" forum.

Certifications: A+ and Network+