Hello all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Strasner, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Strasner

Strasner New Member

Hi, new to the forum and the world of IT beyond my own desktop computer.

Just finished a 3 year degree in Digital Screen Arts, but have no desire to go into the film or TV industry as i know noone in there to get a job and i dont fancy working my ass off for free...

So i applied to the FDM academy, just passed the initial interview and have a 4-day extended interview where i have to learn UNIX (something i have never used before) and have exams and a test in it, no idea wether ill pass that or not. But ive also applied and got into Advent Computer Training doing a course in Advanced Database Management, even though it costs £5950.

I came here for some advice really, to seek out info on how to get into it all, and what moves i should make.

Dave

Certifications: None at all
    WIP: Starting A+
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Don't design agencies and the computer games compaines etc also require designers and content creators ?

I really wouldn't advise spending £6k on a TP to become a DBA. You are far better off trying to land a entry level position and working your way up.

Best of luck ! :D

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

To be honest I would strongly make sure that you're going down the right track, first of all. Let's face it that's alot of money you're going to part with.

The only DB track I found on your second option is this one.

Now considering that Microsoft says:

And for the 2008 route:

For exam 70-432: Candidates should have one to two years of experience using SQL Server 2008 or two to three years of experience using a previous version of SQL Server.

For exam 70-450: This exam is targeted at the professional level SQL Server 2008 Database Administrator.

Or the 2005 route:

Exam 70-443: Candidates for this exam are professional database administrators who optimize and maintain database solutions. They have three or more years dedicated to database work...

Exam 70-444: Candidates for this exam are professional database administrators who optimize and maintain database solutions. They have three or more years dedicated to database work...

I'm very hesitant about completing this within 2 1/2 months (560 hours @ 8 hours a day) if you have no experience.

And as for learning Unix or Linux professionally within 4 days, then sit an exam without experience. Again I'd be very hesitant.

I'm not saying this to dismay you, I'm just being realistic.

If you want to get into IT Support, look at the A+, Network+, the MCDST and the MCTS: Vista.

if you want to get into DB admin, look at the Associate (CMA) Certification from MySQL and the Exam 70-431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (where the candidates for this exam are professionals who typically pursue careers as database administrators, database developers, or business intelligence developers.)

Research into the role where you see yourself and remember professional certifications should reflect your job role and responsiblities.

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to CF.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+