Hello All

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sichars68, Mar 13, 2009.

1. sichars68

sichars68 New Member

Just thought I would post a quick intro.

I am completely new to IT. I have worked in Aviation for the last 19 years, mainly in ATC, but latterly in the ground operations department of a corporate airline. That was until they went into administration back at the end of November.

Having tried to find employment within the Aviation sector, without success(not really surprising in this current economic climate), I have decided to pursue a new career in IT. I just hope you fellow members don't think it is too late at my age!!

My plan is to get a job to tide me over the summer whilst I self-study for the CompTIA A+, and then hopefully get my foot in the door in a 1st line Helpdesk position to gain more hands-on experience and continuing my certs.

I have contacted many of the Training Providers, and I have a couple of 'sales' people contacting me next week, but having read many of the posts on these forums, I beleive self study would be the best way to go, initially at least. As I say I am new to IT, although I am comfortable finding my way around a PC, and installing hardware etc, etc. I feel this is the best way forward, because I am not committing to a TP's expensive course, and if I find I am not cut out for this profession, I really haven't lost anything, but gained knowledge that will always be useful to me on the home computing front.

I am sure this won't happen though, I really am looking forward to getting stuck into the books and gaining that first certificate.What with the immense amount of advice I have already gleaned from the people on this forum, I am confident that any problems I come across I have all your experience and expertise to help me along the way, should I need it.

Kind regards

:D

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Sounds like a plan!

Good luck with the A+.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

In effect a training provider is self study anyway you just end up paying a lot of money for getting some books.

If you need advice or get stuck with something then you can ask on here for free :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security