Hello - Advent Training advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by GJimbo, Mar 22, 2007.

1. GJimbo

GJimbo Bit Poster

Hello again guys,

I've be following up with Advent to gather further information, and unfortunately (or fortunately), I think I may have gotten the sales rep in to a little trouble.

It is correct that very few, if any students pass the MCP course within 4-5 months. It's also incorrect that any students who obtain the MCP will likely gain employment. Most importantly, it is highly unlikely that anyone will obtain the MCSE within 12-13 months.

This from the mouth of Advent Recruitment, who have asked me to write everything down in an email regarding the information that was provided.

At least I've been provided with more accurate information, which is all I asked for really and hopefully it'll help save some people from being duped in to doing something they otherwise wouldn't if they had the proper information in front of them.

I will be taking the self study route, as there is a fantastic community on this board who are willing to help anyone with an interest in gaining employment in IT. Hopefully within a few months, I will be one of the people also helping new comers :)

2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Good for you mate, you aint got any one in trouble ,it's their own doing if the're mis-selling a product, not that all reps are like that but sales equals commission and some people only see the ££££££'s.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Nice one mate, thats what they deserve for filling you full of BS to try and get your cash:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmm, not sure i agree with all of that - passing *the course* and passing the related Microsoft exam are two completely different things. You should be able to pass two of the related MCP exams, say XP and Server within that 4 to 5 months time scale. As for MCSE well i agree, 12 to 13 months is cutting it fine but it is possible. Though it's more likely to take you twice that long if not more.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would say you should at least pass one MCP in 4-5 months, ideally aim for two.

MCSE in 12-13 months is probably only feasible with some commercial experience behind you and some time off work.

As for landing a job there is no special formula. You can have every cert in the world but if you cant communicate well then that will go against you when you apply for any IT support job IMO. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes well i had seven years commercial experience behind me and i was full time studying but due to my inherent ability to procrastinate it took me 3 years - one exam ISA (the last one i needed for MCSE) took me a year alone, and there was a point i felt like giving up, it was that tough.

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hes missed the fact that theres A+ to do before you start the MS stuff with advent.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes true, good point Raff!

9. BrianH_1968

BrianH_1968 New Member

Hi! I'm new on here too - hello to all! - signed up with Advent end of last year - have taken a LONG time to finish Unit 1 cos I was making notes on everything - I basically have the entire contents of the disk written up! So I'm sharing the concerns re study - especially having just received the War & Peace sized document that is Unit 2! And I've already booked in for the workshop at the end of April - half the reason I signed with Advent was structure and incentive - ie. I'd have to do it if I've forked out the wonga! Plenty of support & advice on here though, so stick it out and the pressure from other quarters - I'm getting that too! - can hopefully be staved off periodically! :biggrin

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: CompTia
  10. Deadhead

Deadhead Bit Poster

you had any offers for jobs from advent yet raffaz, just as being in the NE too, i was wondering what kinda opportunities are like here.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, MCSA, VCP5-DCV, VCP-DCV 2019, VCAP-DCV-Deploy-2018