Hell

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by DiamondGeezer, Dec 19, 2004.

1. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

The following is supposedly an actual question given to a university of washington chemistry mid term. The answer by one student was so profound that the professor shared it with his colleagues, via the internet, which is why we can now enjoy it.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat) ?
    Most answered proofs using Boyles Law ( gas cools when it expands and heats up when compressed) or some variant.

One student wrote:
    First we need to know how the mass of hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into and leaving hell. I think it is safe to assume that once a soul arrives in hell it will not leave, therefore no souls leaving.

As far as how many souls are entering hell, lets take a look at the different religions in the world today. Most religions state that if you do not beliebe in their religion then you will go to hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people only belong to one religion, we can project that all souls go to hell.

With birth and death rates as they are today, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature in hell to stay the same, the volume of hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives 2 possibilities:
    1, If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell,then the temperature and pressurein hell will increase untill ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.
    2, If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls, then the temperature and pressure will drop untill ALL HEEL FREEZES OVER.

So which is it ?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that " it will be a cold day in hell before i sleep with you", and take into accountthe fact that i slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that hell is 'exothermic'and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therfore extinct.....leaving only heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine being, which explainsb why, last night she kept shouting " oh my god ".

This student recieved the only 'A'.

Smart arse....... :biggrin

WIP: mcp/ccna
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

thats cool, but i think its on here somewhere already!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

Doh !!!!!!!! Guess I'll have to read the forums in more depth. kinda takes the the amusement out of the tale for me, i'd only seen it earlier tonight. :(

WIP: mcp/ccna
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Still, funny in any case. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Top effort for the first go mate.:thumbleft

I still get a laugh from it whenever I read it.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685