Heads up - more IT Sector doom and gloom

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UKDarkstar, Dec 11, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Just had my regular visit to the Jobcentre (won't bore you with how that went !).

However, the adviser told me that all their IT staff are to be laid off/redeployed and IT support is to be done remotely to cut costs (sounded like they were contracting it out to a third party).

Not sure if there's been any "official" announcement about this but it could add a few more in competition to those of us trying to get back into work.

:(:(:(

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Not good news, lucky for me I work for a SME.

Im sure the larger companies will really suffer... :(

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

See this is what happens when people DON'T spend, companies need to invest, customers need to buy and banks need to start lending again.

Otherwise it will just go down hill even more to the scaremongering.

Think of the Economy as a bubble, instead of it being constantly filled, it just fills up and pops every 30 years or so. You need to start spending as soon as possible about it pops to get it filled to a reasonable level again.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have heard that quite a few places are doing this. The support is remote and quite a few places are outsourcing the work to places like India as the labour is cheaper. Although I am not sure what they do if they actually need an on-site person.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Out sourcing is the "in thing" in I.T. when money is tight.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IT Support was always "outsourced" even before I worked there. In each office there have been "CSO's", but they're not IT professionals. They give access to certain parts of the system to other users, clean/replace keyboards and mice and change ink/toners.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

DWP may be cutting down on agency staff but as for the rest I would take that with a pinch of salt. IF they were outsourcing then existing IT staff would be TUPE'd across to the new provider. Besides, I deal with DWP - based on another service in IT - and I have heard no such thing from their IT staff...but then again that doesn't really mean anything.

Bear in mind that these "advisors" have targets to meet - one of them is to get you job. Looking for an IT job via Jobcentre ain't the best place for these jobs to be advertised - although I think PC World uses them. So it wouldn't surprise me that these people will say anything to get you to take up something else.

Am I a cynic? Yes :D

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...