Problem HD resolution not working anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j1mgg, Jan 28, 2011.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

My desktop is connected to my tv through a hdmi graphics card and this has stopped working. If i boot my desktop the bios screen and windows loading screen comes up but then when it tries to go to the user account screen my tv just comes up with the no signal text.

I booted using vga mode and updated the card driver and this made no difference, tried to open up ati catalyst and this wouldnt open so uninstalled and reinstalled, still no difference. In VGAmode if i try to put the resolution upto 720 it just does the same no signal and doesnt revert back after 15 secs so i have to boot again.

Just give it one last try on here for help before getting a new graphics card and advice would be helpful on that as i dont use it for gaming just watching hd content and was looking about £40 maybe a hd4350 or 5350(i think).

Just to add, I have also installed a fresh version of xp and still same issue.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

did this happen after an update to the PC? if so i'd try roll back or a restore point to before it happened and see if that helps. Don't really know much about the connecting to the TV stuff as i've never done it. But it won't make things worse to try it.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the reply, but cause i installed a nw version of xp(from mcdst book) then it wouldnt have had any recent updates on it and stll dodesntwork compared t when it was working.

New card it is then :(

4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Has your driver just updated to the newest one? Its possible that a new GPU update has caused the issue and since you done a clean instal you have still got the newest driver installed, try and get the previous GPU driver and instal that to see if it works.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Could be your video card is set at the wrong resolution resulting in the TV not being able to display it. My guess is that you will first need to connect your PC to a different monitor. Next set the resolution to the native resolution of the TV. Finally, reconnect the TV to the PC.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would suspect a driver issue

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Hang on, you installed a trial from an MCDST book? Why on earth would you do that?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

The mcdst disc was the closest i had to hand.

It appears the graphics card is think my tv is higher specs than it is, mainly refresh rate i think(LG 22" 1080i 60hz). I have connected the dekstop to my main tv and it works on that which isnt a great deal better tv(LG 42" 1080p 60hz) and then set the card manually in ATI catalyst to 720P 60hz and it now seem to be working on my 22".