Have your IT certifications paid themselves off?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by SimonV, Jun 27, 2012.

?

Have your IT certifications paid themselves off?

1. Yes, by a considerable amount.

27 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. Yes, but only by a small amount.

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Not quite, but almost.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. No, not even close.

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I like to think my A+, Network+ and Education has helped to get my understanding of the fundamentals which helped to get some volunteering work and my first IT job via the volunteering work. As for a pay rise? nope, but then I don't really have certs like MCSA/MCSE/MCITP/CCNA/VCP etc certs so to speak so I wouldn't expect a pay rise...

I think it depends on the job/environment you're in, but could help in searching for new jobs in the future :) As has already been mentioned, its a great way to show you can learn and develop your skills, that you're dedicated and even learn skills outside of your day-to-day job.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  2. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Only just seen this poll, it's a good one :).

I know for a fact I wouldn't have landed my current role with my CCNP cert. I also know from working with our client that their employee progress is based on certification as a major factor. In fact if you want 2nd line network tech promotion, you won't get it without a CCNA.

Certification is extremely important in the public sector (our client is public sector) and has a direct baring on levels of pay, promotions and such. Experience counts don't get me wrong, but 1+1 make 2 not 1+0 (or 0+1 for that matter). This is the first time I've seen certs used in a black or white way but suspect it's more common now than it used to be.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would say yes buy only by a small amount as it helped me a few years back get on the IT bandwagon via the IT service desk.

I had the MCP on windows XP Pro and coupled with my enthusiasm, customer facing skills was granted the opportunity and ever since I have moved on by gaining more hands on experience.

The cert is just a cherry on the cake as experience is king in this game especially coupled with customer facing, soft skills communication and enthusiasm and hard work.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell