Have your IT certifications paid themselves off?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by SimonV, Jun 27, 2012.

?

Have your IT certifications paid themselves off?

1. Yes, by a considerable amount.

27 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. Yes, but only by a small amount.

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Not quite, but almost.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. No, not even close.

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have your IT certifications paid themselves off? Did they produce the value that beats their initial expense?

This is an anonymous poll, your name wont be revealed in the results.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
    jk2447 likes this.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Is hard to say for me, changing jobs made the real difference for me and the knowledge from certification helped, not sure how important the actual exams and paperwork were in landing that job however, I may have got it without certification.

3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Just saying I was studying for the A+ got me my second IT job, along with a 7k pay rise :D

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

They have definitely helped when looking for new jobs. The early MS certs was more having the certificate to prove what I already knew. I found more employers were interested in talking about my computer forensics masters whether is was relevant to the job or not.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  5. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Changing jobs has always given the biggest rises without question, but my ability to change to the better paid jobs is likely helped massively by the certifications I have.

Even though I haven't had to fund any of them myself they have more than paid for themselves.

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'd say my Certifications have more than paid for themselves in terms of wages earned going down my chosen career path. I have had some luck with my job moves that have enabled me to get where I want to be. It also helped that I knew what kind of work I wanted to do, helping me plan my certifications in advance. I'm am a fan of the saying "speculate to accumulate" :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Absolutely, if I hadn't invested in myself no one else would have done. Having certifications helps to show not only my abilities but also my willingness to learn (with the exception of my SCCM courses I have paid for all of my training for about the last 11 years and that can get quite expensive).

However like I keep reminding people, certification isn't the be all and end all to getting jobs, it's all about the experience you can bring to the role and having certifications in no way guarantees your abilities beyond being able to pass an exam.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Sparky likes this.
  8. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Lucky man, I told my employer that I was studying the A+ and they merely said "good luck", I then told them when I had become certified and I was lucky when I received a "well done"... no hope of job progression, and no hope of pay increase.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  9. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Certainly, for me its all about a balance. Experience along with a cert that proves you know your area of expertise!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's actually a really hard question to answer.
    I would generally say yes, but not directly, if that makes sense.

I don't think I have ever applied for, or got, a job purely based on any of my certifications.
    However, I do feel that they reflect my experience and history within the industry.
    If anything, I keep them fairly low profile as I feel that my actual work history is more of a testament to my ability than what certs I have.

On the whole though, I certainly don't feel out of pocket. I've been fortunate that many employers have paid for my certifications, or I have done betas or whatever.

But I've got a litter of bits and pieces, which suits me. I think if I had spent three years of my life and many thousands of pound pursuing an MCSE then I may not feel too flush. Hard to say.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

That GNVQ Wicker Basket making, level 2, must be pretty hard to justify about now tho mate surely.....?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  12. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

I'd say it didn't help me when I was at my old company. I'd tell my manager every time I passed a new exam etc, and aside from the obligatory "well done" it didn't really stretch beyond that.

However, when I applied for a new job a few months later - the new company really sat up and took interest and actually said it was my certs that got me out of "the pile" pre-interview.

13. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Same here :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You'd be amazed.
    If you can show that you've mastered the cross weave rim the your world's your lobster.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
    jk2447 likes this.
  15. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think so, when I passed the MCSE I was offered more £££....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Should the A+ by itself have proven to give me better salary expectations? as somewhere down the line it has not.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  17. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Absolutely.

I took a gamble with shelling out the cash for my initial certs, but I doubt I would have managed to get on the 'IT ladder' without them.

NB

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  18. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Personal opinion, no not really as it's more of an entry level cert so I wouldn't be expecting it to help massively in boosting salary, it's more there to help you get that first job.

19. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Certs don't generally get you the job or a pay rise, your skills and experience do that.

They are just additional CV fodder.

20. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Yes, 100%.
    CompTIA A+, MCP and to a small extent the ECDL.

They showed my employers that I wanted to learn, and had the desire as well.