Have you noticed...

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tripwire45, Apr 25, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

...that after you install application software in Linux, you don't seem to have to reboot? I have been installing and updating programs on my Debian box here at work. I installed clamav antivirus software, updated GIMP, Firefox, and OpenOffice.org and not once was I prompted to reboot. I just open the application after I've installed or updated it and it's just there.

I like apt-get but the downside is that you have to know the exact command to issue in order to get what you want. I also noticed in both GIMP and OpenOffice.org that I had to install the help files separately from the main application. For example, I could update from OpenOffice 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 by typing:

Code:
    apt-get install openoffice.org
    but to get the help files, after openoffice downloaded and installed, I had to type:

Code:
    apt-get install openoffice.org-help-en
    When you install a major piece of application software, as part of the process, apt-get will print any recommended and suggested software packages that you should also install in separate operations.

Upside is that the software is free, no reboot, no licensing keys and the installations are quick.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I was thinking about the same thing the other day Trip, about why Linux doesn't need a reboot when you install new progs or patches/fixes and all I could come up with is Windows File Protection. I'd like to know if this is right or if I'm just raving mad!

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Trip

try apt-cache search <insert something here>

that will search the lists stored at ur last apt-get update for a package containing the string you enter

you can then apt-get install it as u know the name

gentoos emerge system works on similar groundings

emerge kde
    emerge -s kde (search names for kde)
    emerge -S kde (search descriptions for kde)

but to be honest, i dont have to reboot windows for any of those apps to work either :)

or microsoft office, opera, etc etc

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Kewl. Now if there was a command to find out the names of software you haven't downloaded yet. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+