Have you ever pulled an all-nighter?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, May 26, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

by this I dont mean going for beers with the lads, I mean a revision all-nighter.. are they useful? I heard alot of people say the brain can only consume so much info so its better to revise for 2hrs rather than pull an all-nighter, not sure whether I agree or disagree tbh.

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

No I certainly have not and I really wouldn't advise it. Pulling an all nighter seems to suggest that you don't have much time left to revise so I would see two choices. Either postpone the exam or have a go anyway.

Either way being tired will do you no favours and you'll still have the rest of the day to get through afterwards. The technical exams are not like school exams you can take them more than once and theres no shame in not passing them first time, if you do you'll know what you need to revise and it will make you more focused.

I don't think studying all night has any benefit as you do need a definite period of rest and studying is actually very intense on the brain as your learning new things and then trying to remember them for me when I was just starting out I found two maybe three hours max after work studying was about my limit before things wouldn't stick or I found myself reading the books (yes real books and everything in them days) without actually taking it in.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think I've tried every study method there is and the best advice I can give is always get a good sleep before any exam. How you get there doesn't matter in my opinion. Mix it up. Do an all nighter just because you haven't done one then you will know for sure. Could be at two am you get in the zone and can't switch off till eight am when you pass out. Just don't do it the night before the exam or you will be shattered. Also if you're forced to do a few all nighters leading up to the exam, then you probably didn't prepare enough.
    When I've studied all night, or worked, I've found it interesting to see who's on here through the night, different time zones and all that.
    Best of luck mate

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The only all nighter I pulled was an old girlfriend, was it worth it? well she is an ex so probably not.

As far as study all nighters are concerned, god no, it's one of the worst things you can do because you really will lose all concentration.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. High School Tech

High School Tech New Member

Not a good thing to do imho, 1-2 hour stints with breaks in between are the best way to go. Then get a good nights sleep.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCSA, MCSE 2003, CCENT ICND1
    WIP: CCENT ICND2
  6. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

Ive done this; but not for an exam. I'm of the opinion that you NEED your 8 hours before an exam. For things other than an exam, yeah, I can work through the night (And we did work through the night, and then get Ferrero rochers at 5am from Asda) In fairness, this was the second year of uni!

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???