Have you ever made a critical mistake at work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Like lost valuable data? If so what was the result? I fear this daily.

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

For saving work r losing files, no thank god. We have to save a lot of student work, especially in exams so I always check even if they have told me they have saved it. I hate exams at work.

Overall im quite cautious. I did apply an update that was supposed to reactivate for a classroom, however this was done by a batch file, instead of testing the first one, i did the whole class in one go, so I get a call 10 mins before dinner, that the class was having trouble, which resulted me having to redo the whole lot, luckily in the students dinner time.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I once deployed office 2010 to 1500 machines in the middle of the day. Pretty much everyone lost access to their office suite for a few hours.

I was supposed to set it to deploy at 3am, instead i set 3pm

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I connected up a signal generator up wrong once and burnt out some of the electronics.

I connected a 'Micro PC' that was part of a development project to the development network without the network managers permission, got told off when a 'suspicious device' appeared in his monitoring.

Left part of an encryption key in a design document for about a day.

I deployed some database code from integration test to production, forgetting production db was not same configuration and thereby broke the offline leg of the production server for about 30 minutes.

So yeah everyone makes mistakes, point is not to make any really big ones, learn from the mistakes you do make, and put processes in place to minimize mistakes and the impact that they can have.

5. Ce127

Ce127 Nibble Poster

Once removed a bunch of users from an international office out of the AD group that set their emails to be automatically archived in GFI MailArchiver, because I was under the impression we had to save license space for UK office users. Then the time came when the CEO needed me to get access to a USA users mail archives and "ohhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhh ....see...we don't archive emails for that user"

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646