Have you ever just thought 'ARGGHGHHHH'

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Luddym, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Way back, moneths and months ago, I decided to do my MCSE. I hadn't planned on doing the A+, or the N+, just the 7 exams to get my Microsoft Certified Network Engineer cert.

After reading my Sybex 70-270, and seeing some sort of CBT nuggets or Learnkey stuff, I took a mock exam, and barely passed. Then i took another and the score didn't change. Then another, and I did a little worse . . . but they wre all passes, as far as I can remember.

Fast forward 6 months, and I still havent taken the 70-270, but I have passed the A+ (Both exams) and am almost ready to take the N+. I have also decided to drop from doing the MCSE to the MCSA . . . due to money for my living expenses and training dwindling.

I keep picking up my 70-270 study guide, but every time I try to read it, my head goes 'BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH' and I just cant seem to concentrate. Not a problem I've had with any other course material yet (I mean the A+, N+, read some 70-290 and 70-291.) I'm now at the point that I physically NEED to pass this exam, or I never will. So I'll probably just book it for a couple of weeks time, and hope it kicks me into gear. . . If not, I will just have to take my chances.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yes im getting this on the Network+. Been studying for 3 weeks solid, taking exam cram practice tests. My score went from 40% up to 80% in the first 2 weeks and now i cant seem to get it higher....I manage the occasional 87% or 89% but mostly its low level 80's with some high 70's.... And now i've realised that the exam cram tests i been using are for 2003 version of exam not 2005 so not been getting questions on wireless, isdn etc... ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH now i gotta learn more stuff and i still ahvent got hang of OSI (subnetting was easy lol)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, I have my MCSA 2K, and currently working on the 70-292 upgrade to MCSA2K3, and I have the same problem. I open the book and start reading but all I see is "blah blah blah".

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have that problem all of the time.

You start doing something, get to a point where you simply think 'I'll read this later', and later just never comes. There's been a few exams where I've started studying, and then just gave up part way through, mostly because I just couldn't grasp what was being said. Or I simply lost interest in the subject as it wasn't something that I had come across in my day to day role.

It is something that is very hard to get past.

Booking the exam is one way to motivate yourself as you have paid money and don't want it to go to waste. This is where training providers could be useful.

If you are going to pre book the exam the important thing to think about is that you have to be realistic in your scheduling, to soon and you may fail misserably. Too far into the future and you risk the chance of loosing motivation again (yes this has happenned to me aswell).

Take a look at where you feel your current understanding lies and schedule the exam accoring to what you feel would be an acceptable studying timescale, allowing for serious 'cramming' in the days before the exam.

On a side note, you may actually know more than you think. From personal experience I often look at a question and think to myself "haven't I read that somewhere before?" This is because you have actually committed something to your longterm memory without realising it!

One of the key things to working in IT is that you are able to remember facts and regurgitate (sp?) information long after the exam has passed.

8)

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i had that with the XP exam... Luddym i think maybe change the book.. alot of people say the MS exam books are dry but i prefer them ALOT over the sybex ones cause they have alot more info (sorry i know not the point with you) BUT do think of changing books... and remember 70-270 is not just desktops and my computer its the WHOLE OS! :biggrin

Good Luck mate!

PS im not sure if you interested but i gave my opinion on the exam HERE
    im sure you and any future MCP's (70-270) might find some tips in there! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps change the way that you study? When I’m reading a study guide I generally write down some notes and at the end of the chapter I will type them into a word document. Sometimes later on I will just read the same chapter from start to finish without taking any extra notes, I’ve done this for the OSI chapters in the Sybex Network+ study guide as it takes a few reads to take it all in.

When I’ve finished the book I will read over my study notes in the word doc and if there is something I quite cant remember I will refer back to the book or look for some additional resources on the internet.

Getting more to the point if you take some notes while reading your study guide it might stop your mind from wandering to thinking about beer and more beer! :biggrin

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I must admit that I have this problem sometimes, probably because I'm fundamentaly lazy!

I then have to have harsh words with myself, allocate some time, and sit down and work through that section.

Once I'm going I find it gets easier - it is just getting stuck in that is so hard.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

BOOKED.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've now booked the exam, and already feel a little more motivaed for it.

I signed up for Microsofts 2nd shot retake too, so even if the worst comes to the worst, I'll have two shots at it for the price of one.

Once again, thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. :D

9. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Oh, I should have added . . . .

It is booked for Next Friday. 3rd of March at 12:45.

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Luddym my advice to you is make sure you know your stuff before writing the exam! When you in there you going to have questions thrown at and you going to say :What the heck does this have to do with Win XP? Learn your permissions well, dont worry about simulations none on this exam BUT you will have to know a few bits from the 70-290 exam mate - just keep that in mind! 8)

Good Luck!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

As I spent 3 years in self study I've gone through just about every condition anyone has ever experienced along these lines. My solution to this particular problem? I realized that I was doing to much "book learning", going over practice tests, and too little hands-on learning. I realize some of these areas are hard to practice, but do as much hands-on as possible and then go back to the books. Leave the practice tests alone as much as possible. They are only for gauging current weaknesses, not a study tool. If they are used too much as a study tool you'll end up with basically a paper cert.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i have this problem too sometimes, but since i'm with a training provider i have a deadline so the pressure helps.
    then if i can't concentrate i just read out loud, because it makes the brain focus on reading and it helps me immensely.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M