Have I just been screwed over?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by abstrakt, Jul 15, 2005.

1. abstrakt

abstrakt Bit Poster

About an hour ago I signed the enrollment forms for a skillstrain course which is gona put me through A+, N+ and CCNA courses. It cost me £2500.

The salesman guy came round last week to get me to sign up, but I was rather skeptical and told him i'd need time to think it over. After doing research on Skillstrain and Scheidegger I found that they were in fact legit companies. I couldnt find many opinions, positive or negative, and so decided they must be alright. I also compared other training organisations like Computeach, but was put off by the cost.

Skillstrain's live labs (remote access to cisco equipment) did appeal to me and so I phoned the guy and told him I'd like to sign up on the condition that there was a cancellation period. He told me there was a 14 day cancellation period should I change my mind.

Once I signed the forms he told me of all the benefits I would recieve with the course. Strangely enough I would recieve most of them in 14+ days time. Things like my personal tutors details, access to their recruitment website and logon details to 'Live Labs' are all given to me AFTER my cancelation period.

Now, I've just paid £2500 so obviously I dont want any BS. The material he's left me seems alright, but i'm very concerned as to the quality of material i'll recieve after my cancellation period.

Oh yeah and i've got two training CD's in my starting pack. Guess when I recieve the unlock code? Thats right, "In around a fortnight" he says.

Anyone else smell a rat? :dry

2. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Must admit it does sound a little odd. I signed up with Scheidegger last year for a couple of weeks (my beef was with lies the salesman had told me - not necessarily with the company). I, too, was left with the first set of CDs (five if I remember rightly) but there were no unlock codes needed and I could begin straight away (although they did say not to for the fortnight like you!). I wonder if this has been introduced recently to stop people from starting the multi-media courses before they're ready?

For what it's worth the CDs are NetG courses which are very good (they're what inspired me and I looked around for another supplier when I cancelled with Scheidegger) but I can't comment on any other aspects of the course.

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  3. abstrakt

abstrakt Bit Poster

Considering the ammount of times this saleman came out with "You'll fly the A+, i'd give you 3 month max", trying to flatter me, i'm quite concerned that I can't just get on with it and do the course at my own pace. Instead I must wait for them to release unlock codes in order to advance a chapter.

My main worry is what the tutor will be like. Did you get to contact your tutor before you cancelled by any chance?

4. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Nope. I'd waited the two weeks for the tutor to first contact me (you get the phone number and have to contact him/her to introduce yourself) but the letter I got that morning highlighted that I'd been misinformed.

5. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Ok so they have given you some CD's what other support are you getting is there any classroom training provided?

A set of Netg CD'S and access to an online tutor seems not much for £2, 500 - sorry

I have to say that I have not heard much about Scheidegger but it seems a lot of money especially as they have left you no unlock codes for the courses!

6. knightofnuada

knightofnuada Nibble Poster

As KeithNN said,
    There's nothing to stop you from starting today as you have the stuff you need for the first assignment and when you get the details of your tutors, just introduce yourself and send the first assignment off ... It's what I did. Though I emailed them to introduce myself.

So far I've had no problems with them and am happily plodding through the A+ ...

Though, to be honest I'd be rather sceptical of completing the A+ in 3 months as on average they return the assignments in about 5 - 7 days. So if you were sending in an assignment as soon as you got the return, you'd be looking at about 4 months maybe 5.

Good luck and if you get stuck, the guys here are great for helping out!

Steve

WIP: A+, Network +, CCNA
  7. abstrakt

abstrakt Bit Poster

Can I ask how you were mis-informed? Since i'm doing a course with them and am still in the cancellation period, i'd like to know all their tricks. Although there really shouldn't be any "tricks" if they were an honest company.

I agree, but if the tutor is any good it would be a great help. Apparently you can phone them at any time up till 9pm any day of the week Also you get access to their 'live labs' which allows you to use the proper equipment over the net (Not quite the same as actually having the equipment, but a close compromise IMO)

Of course you also get other study materials like books and stuff. Oh and you get access to their recruitment website. But yeah, im pretty p****d off i cant use the CD's yet.

Thanks steve. That brings me a lot of comfort. I was hoping i'd find someone who's doing the same course.

Good look with yours too mate! :thumbleft

8. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

I don't think the forum is the place to post that kind of thing - and I really don't want to look like I'm flaming the company. Feel free to PM me and I'll fill you in.

9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think, that with the press a lot of distance learning providers get, it all swings on personal tolerance levels of what you expect from your providers and the course itself.

I have no beef with Scheidegger at all, and have been quite happily plodding on with the A+, which the salesman said I should have nailed in about 7 months (which I was quite happy with).

The money does sound expensive - and I've signed up for CCNP too, so I'm paying a *shade* more, but they provide extensive tutor support for a start. Suprisingly, a lot of people I've had one-to-one discussions with about distance learning say that they haven't tried this facility yet, because they're not happy with X,Y or Z aspects of the course.

The codes on the CD's are to stop people jumping ahead, but if you submit your TMA on the net it comes back in about three days, and if you phone your tutors right after you submit, they'll give you an unlock code in advance - you don't always have to wait around for a return on the assignment.

Feel free to PM me if you want to have a chat about Scheidegger, or any distance provider. I'm always harping on about the benefits - and they do have benefits. And it's not always a side people hear when they do research for these things on the net.

And if you stay on the course - good luck :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. Joy

Joy New Member

It's a long story but basically I was approached by telephone by a 'tutor' from Scheidegger College who said I had applied to do a book-keeping course, which I hadn't, and I don't know where he got my number from, but I was interested in hearing more about the course. He said they had to carry out a home visit, I didn't like him right from the start, I felt I was being bullied, yet somehow I found myself being talked into doing the course and signed up for it at a cost of £1820 + £50 deposit.

The next day I tried to find out more information about this Scheidegger college without success, there were other things which rang alarm bells but I can't really go into that, anyway I cancelled by letter that day and he has now left a message on my answer machine saying there will be a charge for the effort he put in!

I don't think they can do this, surely?

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Now, THAT sounds like foul play, and you should have some comeback against them. Unfortunately, we might not be able to advise you on here, but you should challenge them first, and then see if you need to take third party advice.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

I'm afraid he can. If you read the back of the application that you signed there's a term (could be number 6 if I recall correctly?) that explicitly points out if you cancel you still have to pay a certain amount (£40?) for their administration costs. I managed to get out of that because of "Misrepresentation of Contract" but I don't know with your situation...