Has anyone heard of this website?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Sep 29, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

www.moderngadgets.notlong.com

It offers free gadgets such as laptops for free???

I came across it on amazon while reading a review on laptop there. Here's the link from Amazon, the review states it is supported by the bbc and Amazon??

Review on Amazon by Hanscombe

Here's the website that is giving gadgets, computers, dvd players away for free:-

FREEJEEBIES

I'm not sure what to make of it.:blink

Is it a scam or is it for real???:blink8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It seems real enough, but it looks like it depends on how many of your mates you can stitch up with 'offers' in order to get referrals.

Sure they'll love you for sending spam their way!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've seen this kind of thing before. You have to sign up to them, then buy something from a sponsor. The sponsor then needs to acknowledge the sale before you are entitled to get the item. More often than not its just a con. They get money from the sale, and just dont respond to your queries about why its not been marked as complete yet. Add to that they now have your email address, etc, and they suddenly make lots of money off selling it to the highest bidders (hell, they'll sell it to all the bidders).

Edit: Id like to point out that its a customer review on the site, NOT an amazon review. My own personal business (givememoney.com) is approved by the BBC, Amazon, the FDA. Hop over and give me some dosh! :evil just because I say its approved/supported by someone, does not make it so. If I were to see an official endorsement by the BBC or Amazon (on their own sites, by their staff) i might be inclined to believe it, but not in this manner.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

There's one simple rule I go by on these things. If it seems to good to be true, it is.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Fergal I think I will give it a miss:thumbleft

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

That's something that was in the back of my mind when I saw the website, but it may not always be true!:biggrin

There's that time a lotto winner wanted to sell his old BMW 3 series for a silly price of £250. In the end after people phoning up and asking if this was a scam or had the car been nicked? After a month, he decided to put it up to the asking price as shown in parkers Car Guide. (not that he needed the money, just wanted to the space for his new porsche.)

Funny old world!:biggrin

7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

There's a difference in the two situations. You have every ability to check out the situation of the guy selling the car for cheap. You can get the license plate numbers and run them past the your equivalent of our DMV(Department of Motor Vehicles) to see if it is registered to who is selling it or the plates are stolen, and you can buy a service here in the US that keeps a database of wrecked cars to see if it has ever been totaled as every car that's been totaled has to be registered with the insurance company that insured it.

You have no ability to check out these people without giving up a lot of privacy, time, and effort, as well as exposing your friends and neighbors to their potential bs too. That's how you tell the two situations apart. In one you have the ability to check facts and reputations, in the other, you don't. That's where the rule always applies, unless you're a major risk taker at heart.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Actually, things like this do work, the best one IMO is www.giveawaynetwork.co.uk

some time last year i joined up for a free ipod shuffle, completed the offer, reffered myself 6 times using the ebay offer and a few email address i created, dont think thats still available though, and about 3 weeks later an ipod shuffle arrived at my door, didnt cost me a penny

someone i know on another forum got an xbox360 with all the launch titles on it too

so these things DO work, just got to watch out for the ones that dont

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Did you have to leave personal details about yourself on this website and have you since been loaded with spam on the email address you left?:blink