Has anyone ever had to do a survey on their employer

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Nov 18, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Some people at my work (including me) got a Best companies survey to fill in today. Apparently the company is trying to promote that is a good place to work for.

This survey is supposed to be done from an independant company and also anonamous.

I was wondering if anyone had done this before and wether they are truly anonamous otherwise I could be in deep doo doo :D:blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I was going to do something like that for our place, but to be honest I didn't :)

As for whether it's completely anonymous, I don't know. Do you have to fill in your name anywhere on the form?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee

I didn't have to put my name in, but I did have to indicate my department by a code and there was a barcode on the form.

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Normally with such a survey their is an acompanying privacy statement. If there isn't, suggest you ask to see it !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. greenbrucelee

It did say it was private, but after I had sealed it I sudennly thought maybe I shouldn't have said the managment should spend more time on the shop floor then their decisions might be more sensible.

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I like it :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

should have waved it in front of managers and said cheques made payable to.....

:D

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  8. greenbrucelee

It's just some crappy PR exercise anyway. Every year we win best regional weekly and daily newspaper, quite hard to understand since the weekly newspaper is just regurgeted **** from the daily :blink:D

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That would kind of redefine anonymous! :D

I've done these before.
    I suppose it depends on how big your company is.
    They usually gather some kind of data on you, such as seniority/department etc so that they can do a profile of things like '63% of employees at team leader level who have been here less than 3 years think that it's a nice place to work'.

Your bosses will usually only see the finished report and not the individual responses.

If there are 10 people in your company, people could probably work out who was saying what - but then again in a small company your bosses would be daft if they didn't already know who was happy there and who wasn't.

In a big company it's a lot more obscure and it's unlikely that management would engage in a witch hunt over some negative feedback. They'll have other things to worry about.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. greenbrucelee

Cool, the bosses at my place are a bunch of idiots anyway. There's only a couple who are worth the money they get paid.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Funnily enough, I used to work for a big company.

Every year, you had an appraisal from your line manager, and in turn did one for all your staff.
    One year, the HR department decided to 'let staff have their say' and turned the scheme around so you gave feedback on you immediate superior.

Their name for the scheme?
    '360 degree feedback'.

I made the mistake of trying to explain to the HR department that if you went 360 degrees you ended up facing the way you started, and don't think I got promoted again after that.

:cry:

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Put it this way - what you put on the form is the least of your worries.
    You're better off hoping they don't find this forum... 8)

13. greenbrucelee

lol, most of them are the type of people who would ask "where is the internet based" :D So I am safe there

14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

GBL, we had something similar to this a while ago for best council. I dont think the survey is truely annonymous because within the link emailed to you is a number which I suppose you could use to identify which number was sent to which email address. So no its not truely annonymous. But then again they have asked you these questions and you are quite within your rights to answer them whether good or bad.

Anyway the radio button answers to go with the questions can steer you in a certain direction:

How do you rate your employer?

Good, excellent, bloody fantastic.

Would you like a true pay rise that reflects the tremendous amount of work you do?

No, No thanks I do it for the love of the job.

:blink

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  15. greenbrucelee

mine was the same but on a form that we had to post instead of an email. But it had a barcode and stuff.

16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

These usually aren't anonymous. Most of the forms will have a number on them somewhere (very small print) and if you got together with the others you would see that they are all unique and identifiable. They know who they sent the forms to and the numbers on those forms too. The best way to be anonymous would have been to swap them all around with the others.:twisted:

BTW, the barcode is also a dead giveaway.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. greenbrucelee

oooooops :D, hope they don't read mine then.

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

My personal feeling is that any employer who chooses to implement a staff feedback policy is either;

1. Very brave
    2. Very stupid
    3. Very commendable

Either way, you should be OK.
    If they are brave, then they were expecting some flack because they know they deserve it.
    If they are stupid, they won't realise what the barcodes are and will just cry because they thought that everyone was happy.
    If they are commendable, they will take the feedback in the spirit it was given and try to act on it.

19. greenbrucelee

Mines probably 2 then :D

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Is that where you end up blaming (or praising) yourself for everything? :biggrin

Well played, Jonny! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!