Harry Potter - Love it or Hate it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 20, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

It's a real shame to see these local business go to the wall. But it seems to be the norm, soon everything will be available online and no one will go out to shop8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

What was it that Jack Dee said?

Harry f**kface Potter? lol

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You did have to spend £50 on shopping to get the £5 offer, otherwise it was £10

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

True - I should have said that. I offer my embarrassment over the greater sin as my only feeble excuse :oops: :oops:

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have u guys seen the fake Harry Potter books from Japan, sorry I cant remember the link but one is called Harry Potter & the Big. (Yes that is the title)

You can read some excerpts, in chapter 2 there is a tri-cerotops and and monkey like creature it sounds a bit ***** up to me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well here's the link from Boing Boing, they are sold in China as well. I wonder if any can spot the difference between the fake ones and the real ones?:p :biggrin

Harry Potter and Beaker and Burn

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hmm... came in to this one a bit late. The Barry Trotter Franchise.

I can't love it, and I can't hate it, that's a plumb honest answer. I can't stand JK Rowling's books; I can't get in to them, no matter how much I try. I can't picture in my head what she's trying to achieve, and the stories just don't flow. That doesn't mean I'm saying she's a rubbish author - heck, it's obvious she does something right! I just don't get on with her style.

I think the films are very well executed. My sister is an avid Potter-ette, belying the fact that she's 30 years old. She informs me they map to the books very well, and she's cried on a multitude of occasions. Mind you, she also cried when Mufasa died in the Lion King, and still protests that he was taken from this world when he was too young...

When all is said and done, do I like the Potter series? No, I can't say that I do. But Rowling found a niche in the market, for a likeable fantasy fiction character that adults and children both could latch on to. She's done it well, but not well enough to win me as a fan (not that, in the grand scale of things, that actually matters to her).

However, the funniest thing I have ever seen in PotterWorld, was when I used to work at a supermarket. We ran a fancy dress competition for kids to win a hardback copy of the second book she did. A guy who must have been early to mid forties turned up, in full Harry Potter regalia. He was the only adult there. It was... different, I have to say.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I like the films, I can't be arsed reading the books though.
    As for the PS3, I'd gladly accept one given to me, but I would neither pay nor queue up for one for any decent length of time. Hah.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+