Hardware changes

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The cpu on my workstation was no longer being reported correctly so I "upgraded" to some newer old technology. I spent about $70 total on a new motherboard and cpu, and about the same on memory and a new heatsink for the new cpu.

I moved to a 64 bit Sempron 3000+ and a Biostar mobo with an NVidia chipset. I also installed an Arctic Cooling Freezer64Pro heatsink, and I have to say I am flat out impressed with it. At idle my cpu temps are at 79 Fahrenheit and never get above 90 Fahrenheit even under heavy load, and that's with a room temperature of 70. That's all in an old case with only 1 exhaust fan and the psu fan.

The other thing about this upgrade? I made the hardware changes and booted right back into my old install. I changed nothing software-wise. That's right. I went from a 32 bit to a 64 bit cpu, changed motherboard chipset manufacturers and memory types, AGP slot versions from 4x to 8x, moved from an old Soundblaster 512 pci card to a built-in sound card, hooked my psu, hard drives and cdrom into the motherboard and Debian just booted up as if nothing had changed. Well, the hardware was a lot faster, but other than that, nothing. It was so easy it was boring. I didn't have to change anything. Networking worked, video and audio worked, and I didn't even have to call in and ask Debian to re-authorize my installation..... I just booted into a fully working machine.

When was the last time you made that many hardware changes on your Windows machine and booted right back to your original installation while making zero changes to your Windows installation?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wow! That's awesome. You da man, Freddy...or Debian's *the* OS. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

LOL. Yeah, it had little to do with me. It's just impressive when a person can make that many hardware changes, and have their install boot right back up and be fully working without making any configuration changes.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

2 days ago 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. ffreeloader

Since when does the hal not have to be changed on Windows when complete architecture changes are made in the hardware? I've never been that lucky.

6. Sparky

Repair install sorted it all 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. ffreeloader

Ah, but then you didn't just boot into a functioning install. I just changed the hardware and booted the machine. Period.

8. Sparky

True, mine was a domain controller though ,yours was a workstation. :biggrin

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Did you have to reactivate it?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Sparky

No, it was a volume licence 8)

If not then you have to phone MS and get a code to reinstall....

11. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Changed graphics card 3x
    Changed memory 3x
    Changed sound card 2x
    Added second HD

All under XP Pro without having to reactivate or whatever. Story would have been different if I changed the CPU or mobo methinks. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't forget that there is a 90 day timeout on changes - after that the points evaporate.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

But these changes have happened progressively over the last 1.5 years. :blink

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  14. ffreeloader

LOL. Yeah, well I also had postgres, mysql, and zope/plone server installations running too with the zope/plone install proxying through a virtual server on Apache.. This machine isn't only my workstation. It's a server in my lab too.

Now, what all that had to do with anything I don't know, but the fact that a DC had to have a repair install run on it to bring it back must a been a little scary as Windows just doesn't have a good reputation for living through complete hal changes.

The fact that Linux will adapt itself to another complete architecture without a hiccup is a real plus for Linux.

15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Exactly my point. If you do the changes gradualy, using the timeout period then you don't ever have to re-activate.

The only problem comes if you change something that has too many points associated with it. I don't know, but I suspect that only changing the motherboard would have enough points.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  16. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

How dare you upgrade your motherboard without first reporting to redmond ! ... tsk... tsk...

17. Sparky

Basically the servers RAID and motherboard had failed so I have to apply the backup image to a new server. A repair install was needed which was no big deal to get the server online after the image was applied. I have found that server 2003 and XP are much better in handling major hardware changes in comparison to earlier versions of Windows. 8)